[spectre] Introduction - Invitation - International Open Call

Cynthia Pannucci pannucci at asci.org
Fri Jul 30 18:46:06 CEST 2010

Dear SPECTRE List Members ~

My name is Cynthia Pannucci and I am the founder/director of Art & Science
Collaborations, Inc. (ASCI). Although mostly a virtual organization now, we
began in New York City in 1988, where many of our art-sci activities still
take place. I'm glad to join your mailing list and look forward to following
your news and activities. We invite you to send your art-sci-tech
information to ASCI [bulletin at asci.org] by the 20th of each month for free
posting in our monthly ASCI eBulletin the following month. You can find a
recent issue at: http://www.asci.org/artikel1109.html

======================
Announcing an International Open Call...
[please forward to your colleagues!]

DIGITAL'2010:  PLANET EARTH
12th International Juried, Digital Print Exhibition
organized by Art & Science Collaborations, Inc. (ASCI)
to be held at the New York Hall of Science
October 3, 2010 - January 31, 2011
ENTRY DEADLINE: August 16, 2010

Details & Submissions online only:
http://www.asci.org/artikel1102.html

INTRODUCTION

Our blue planet, spinning like a jewel in our solar system, has been
perceptually defined by the technology of each era, from believing the Earth
was flat, to the scientific understanding that it spins on its axis and has
gravitational pull, to being part of just one of many solar systems. In
terms of scale, humans are too small to viscerally comprehend our planet's
magnitude and the dynamics of its interconnected physical systems. We
therefore break the concepts down into smaller parts, collect data and
physical specimens of all kinds, and invent instruments to measure and track
physical phenomena like earthquakes, tornados, and hurricanes. However, we
still cannot grasp the "big picture" of planet Earth unless we read, look at
photos, and finally. use our imagination to help envision/conceptualize it!

We invite artists and scientists to submit original digital prints that
reflect their perceptions of our planet. Are these perceptions changing as
we learn more about Earth from explorers, scientists, and artists? What is
the relationship between all living things and planet Earth? What images are
evoked by calling it the blue planet or the peaceful planet or the changing
planet?  What is the human impact on the whole planet? What is our concern
for its future?

The museum furnishes the frames (18"x24"); If selected, just send your
digital print(s) in a cardboard tube!

Art & Science Collaborations, Inc. (ASCI)
serving the international art-sci-tech field for 22-years
asci at asci.org
www.asci.org