[spectre] // The Artvertiser source code is now available! //

Julian Oliver julian at julianoliver.com
Mon Jun 21 22:22:40 CEST 2010

(Apologies for any cross posting)

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------->

We take great pleasure in announcing that The Artvertiser source code is now
(finally) available, licensed under the GPLv3.

Introduction:

The Artvertiser is an Improved Reality platform, designed for the live
substitution of advertisements in a video stream with alternative 2D content.

The code was initially developed by Julian Oliver before being significantly
improved by Damian Stewart.

A typical application of The Artvertiser at work might be the Product
Replacement of street billboards with 2D art using a laptop with webcam or
camera-enabled mobile device. You might also want to have your own personal
exhibition in the Louvre, substituting well known paintings with your own
creations and inviting others to enjoy the show.

Counter-propaganda operations are also well suited to the platform, like
changing the imagery of a disliked political campaigner before uploading the
recorded result for all to see. Alternatively, it can be used to product replace
planar images in archival video, like a HollyWood movie or TV advert, using
popular films as an 'exhibition surface'.

You can see a couple of examples of The Artvertiser at work using our own
specially crafted digital binoculars, The Billboard Interception Unit, on the
project website:

	http://theartvertiser.com

The Code:

The entire project tree exists as a git repository, cloned like so on your local
system:

	git clone git://repo.or.cz/The-Artvertiser.git

The code should currently build on any modern Linux-based OS with the addition
of a couple of dependencies and - thanks to Damian - should also compile on OS X
with the correct prior tweaks in place. See the README file in the top-level
directory for more information.

A special 'mob' user has been set up allowing complete Read/Write access for
anyone at all. Once you've cloned the repository as above, just:

	git checkout mob

.. to move to the mob branch. It's all yours!

We look forward to your improvements, forks, derivations and vandalisms.

Happy (urban) hacking!

Julian and Damian

http://theartvertiser.com
http://julianoliver.com