[spectre] Mindthestorm - a New Way of Jamming in the Third Millennium

Heike Borowski borowski at zkm.de
Wed Jun 30 17:25:47 CEST 2010

Mindthestorm - Like random steps of sunlight, Random steps of
consciousness.

Themes on and about the complex mesh of relations between biospheres,
climatic science, environmental politics, globalization, culture and
art form the point of departure for mindthestorm.org’s continuously
accumulating archive of image and textual documentation.

Processuality constitutes the focal point of mindthestorm.org. The
archive is neither hierarchically structured, nor does it follow a
defined order. The structure emerges through the quality of the
contributions, their continuity, their quantity and tagging; the
information structure which undergoes permanent renewal is represented
by swarms.

Users of mindthestorm.org
store the images and textual documents relating to their research or
their actions in a common databank. The data are tagged when entered
and subsequently set in relation to one another editorially and by the
participants themselves. A tool is thus produced, which automatically
and by way of the text proposes relations to other, already existing
documents. These proposals can then either be confirmed or rejected.
Swarms are visualized by this mesh of relations, which persistently
form themselves anew with each subsequent entry. At this level,
participants may interactively position the documents within the
swarms, whereby the representation signifies a communication of all
entries. Ultimately, what emerges from this is the possibility to
record and represent both the subjective explanatory space of each
respective participant as well as to assess the latter’s entry in its
connection to other such entries, such that multiple swarm images may
then be generated. Each of these representations stands in a relation
of reciprocal influence, and leads to an unguided, dynamic revaluation
of the swarms. This revaluation, though editorially accompanied by
selected partners, is not directly influenced. The descriptions
accompanying these are located on a separate level as a complement to
the above-described representation of the swarm intelligence.

In this sense, mindthestorm.org is a collaborative, multi-user social
network – as far as possible, an open platform. The immanent obstacles
of Internet as a medium such as spam inhibit the possibility of the
real-time visualization of the processes in the archive and hence make
an editorial intermediate step necessary. The use of the platform
however is designed as a simply as possible so as to guarantee the
continual expansion of the content by third parties.

The objective of Mindthestorm
would be to generate by means of audio-visual media that which
apparently cannot be mediated – the shift from nature to climate –
into a kind of web-archipelago, populated by swarms that converge in a
biosphere. This would run counter to the way the current planetary
crisis of global warming elicits a variety of responses ranging from
the exercise of societal self-delusion, declarations of the commitment
to sustainability, to total indifference – to a playing field for
curators as a fashionable arena for topical shows, to denial,
disconnection, precipitation of the sense of the present and to a dis-
envisaging of the future. We cannot but function within complex
systems such as nature, within whose limits and laws we interact and
in whose nomos we immanently and manifestly move: together with its
perceived 'recorded' transformations, mindthestorm interdigitates
itself by means of swarms with that other, elementary natural science
poised as it is in a 'Copernican leap' through experimental physics
and mathematical universal formulas, anomy of predictions and controls
out of non-manifest structures that characterize the climatic turn.

Our experience shows that these systems are intrinsically irregular,
are exposed to the unforeseen and that which cannot be assessed. Not
only are they subject to irregularity, but they actively create it in
their search for certainty and in their need to control. Uncertainty
is the constituent data of living systems.

Mindthestorm, a new creative reflexity
(meta-observation) aims to integrate the arts, sciences, politics, and
feelings and to reach a higher level of evolution. This leads to an
augmented reality, a new world appearance delivered over / under -
determined masses of membrane worlds, in copies of a divided cosmos or
stray quests for meaning in a world of enhanced attentiveness, but
also to an acknowledgement of the recognizable and the unrecognizable.
Jumping out of the climate boomerang trespassing biological borders /
frames, as also referred to by Peter Weibel in the postscript to Boris
Groys' book, Die Kunst des Denkens [The Art of Thought], we read:
'Society suppresses not only unacceptable desires, but also
unacceptable information. There is knowledge in our society that
suppresses itself. Appearing in the guise of art, this socially
unconscious, this suppressed knowledge can again return to
consciousness and to reality.' – In particular, this socially
unconscious, this suppressed knowledge can return to consciousness and
reality in a web-archipelago.

Mindthestorm opens up
what has until now remained concealed from view, the significance of
which is not occupation, but an enhanced perception of significant
phenomena in an entangled biosphere. It does this by way of the
formation of swarms composed of a vast and, we hope, soon unlimited
and self-organized collection of pictures, data, sound, etc., whereby
each squib gushes over in a relation of reciprocity: a collection of
nested shells of biosphere matter. Perhaps, it was this that impressed
itself on Jeremy Rifkin, and that presented him with the idea of
mindthestorm when dancing on the floor of a Roman Hotel located close
to Via Veneto: the sense of freedom, of swarming. When mindthestorm
jumps out of the World Wide Web it would seem as if this collective
intelligence could be more empathic than he ever imagined in his book
'Empathy': he wrote "a new way of jamming in the Third Millennium".

Perhaps, we could re-enact in our minds the experience of the past,
able we are as "weumans" to experience ourselves as a species. Yet
climate turn poses for us a question of a human collectivity pointing
to a figure of the universal that escapes our capacity to experience
the world.

Mindthestorm removes the separation
posed by those rights that have been in existence since the
Enlightenment to celebrate our freedom without any awareness of the
geological agency human beings were gaining, and ushered in this new
geological time-interval called the anthropocene. The frame of
reference is the discussion in the context of public conferences about
the meaning of the swarms between natural scientists, environmental
activists, peace movements, as well as 'observers' in the broadest
sense of the term, and territorial entities such as the Council of
Europe, the European Parliament, the ZKM, the PIK, Universitá la
Sapienza, AVAAZ, 350. org, AdK Berlin. We would like to invite all of
these organizations to interact with us in a call for
interdisciplinary discussions: deep records and deep histories of
human beings open to new experiences - to fight back for the future.

Much like the swarm itself, the user of the platform can himself
become an actor by indexing the 'squibs' with the alternating
'keywords' as derived from the discussions, creating and generating
swarms in ascending complexity and, we hope, enhanced consciousness.

http://www.mindthestorm.org

Mindthestorm is on facebook:
http://facebook.mindthestorm.org