[spectre] Call for Papers and Presentations - NSU Winter Symposium

Eduardo Abrantes eduardoabrantes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 11:32:10 CET 2010

NSU Winter Symposium – January 31st to February 2nd, 2011, in Århus,
Denmark.

Call for Papers and Presentations
The Winter Symposium 2011 is the third of six meetings in the study
circle: Artistic Research – Strategies for Embodiment, organized
under the Nordic Summer University (NSU).

The study circle invites researchers and artists from all fields to
take part in discussions on the theme: Strategies for Embodiment
within Artistic Research; questioning and probing into ways for
embodying and communicating artistic research processes and their
outcomes.
The theme for this, the second year of our study circle, is “Artistic
Knowing”. The focus will be on language and discourse, and the
development of strategies for embodying and disseminating the
experiences drawn from the field of Artistic Research.

As a rapidly evolving discipline Artistic Research is the site of
ongoing and evolving epistemological debate regarding the
foundations, scope and validity of the knowledge it uncovers as well
as creates, and the mechanisms by which it embodies such knowledge.
This symposium will endeavour to address these issues in order to
advance the debate by focusing on notions of “embodiment” as they
have emerged in our discussions to date, but also with regard to the
proposals received in response to this call.

The work of the study circle will culminate in the publication of an
anthology (to be published in 2013) that will focus on communicating
methodologies, specific examples of artistic research, and the
dissemination of knowledge through various media and multimedia
solutions. The aim is to reach out to our peers as well as art
students interested in the field, and you are invited to contribute.
We invite you to continue working on a contribution through the
following three meetings of the study circle with continuous feed
back from the participants.
For the winter symposium we welcome proposals for presentations in
various formats, ranging from demonstrations and presentations/exerts
of artistic work, to theoretical reflections and suggestions for
panel discussions. We also propose the format of ultra-short
presentations (5 min.) based on a previously distributed papers,
followed by time for discussion.
You are welcome to use additional materials such as images,
audiovisual footage or whatever is relevant to your work. Papers and
presentations do not have to be in English.

Proposals by email to coordinator Helena Kågemark:
helenakagemark at gmail.com
The closing date is the 1st of Dec 2010.

The length of the proposals should be no more than 350 words, plus a
short CV, (or just a short CV if you intend to participate without
presenting).
Please, let us also know:
1. In which format(s) you wish to present..
2. What facilities you need, i.e. what kind of equipment, space etc.
3. The language of your presentation.
4. The proposed length of your presentation (5 minutes+ 25 min
discussion, 15 min presentation+ 15 min discussion or 40 min
presentation + 20 min discussion).

Clarification:
The 5 min presentation followed by a 25min discussion is appropriate
where material has been distributed beforehand. This may include
regular papers but also material from work-in-progress, for example
posters, drawings, sound, film, other textual material etc. We will
accept papersof between 2500 and 4000 words, these papers may be
draft or work-in-progress.
Text and drawings must be sent in Pdf or Jpg format. Sound and film
material must be accessible through a weblink.

The deadline for papers and other material is Jan 17th 2011.

The 15 min presentation is a free format for any kind of
presentation: performance, papers or other. It will be followed by 15
min for discussions.

The 40 min+ 20 min is exclusively for practical work like
performances, workshops, work-in-progress, showings, etc.

Venue for the winter seminar:
Arkitektskolen Aarhus, (Aarhus School of Architecture) in Århus,
Denmark, www.aarch.dk
Arrival: January 30st
Departure: February 2nd
The preliminary program will be published on the Dec 15th 2010.

You must book and pay your own hotel room (we will provide you with
information). NSU offers room and travel subventions for cheapest
available tickets for Nordic citizens or residents. Be prepared to
pay a smaller fee for the symposium.

For more information about NSU, including our next Summer Session
taking place July 30th to August 7th, 2011 in Southern Sweden, visit
www.nsuweb.net