[spectre] (fwd) Sign the Petition: Release Ai Weiwei

Andreas Broeckmann ab at dortmunder-u.de
Fri Apr 15 08:14:47 CEST 2011

heath,

thank you for these questions. i will think about them carefully,
since i assume that these are the kind of questions that people like
myself will have to answer when they get in the hands of the chinese
stasi, should the chinese stasi choose to ask me questions about why
i supported a campaign for the release of ai weiwei.

http://www.change.org/petitions/call-for-the-release-of-ai-weiwei

because you now know that i have this association when reading your
questions, i assume that you will understand that i would rather not
enter into this interrogation now. such interrogations are structured
to make people say contradictory things which harm them and others.

i respect you as an artist and your work (e.g.
http://status.irational.org/ ), and because of that respect i choose
to assume that the imputation in your questions - that ai weiwei
might be in prison for good reason - is rhetorical and strategic.
(besides, i believe that people who evade taxes should not be put in
prison, but forced to pay taxes.)

i support the campaign for the reslease of ai weiwei because i
believe that he is wrongfully imprisoned, like many other people in
china (and elsewhere). he is a figure-head, and the campaign has, in
my understanding, an important 'symbolic' dimension in that it is
directed against the lack of freedom of speech and freedom of the
arts.

i did not know that you were arrested. it is of course a problem of
the attention economy that i didn't know about this. is it cynical to
say that, while i despise that fact that you get arrested regularly
because of your work with borders and identity, i am glad that you
have been arrested by people acting on behalf of authorities that
released you again soon afterwards, rather than also arresting your
partners and keeping you under arrest away from the public eye for an
(as of yet) indefinite period of time. the latter is what is
happening to ai weiwei.

should this happen to you and i know about it, i will also support
the campaign for your release.

regards,
-a

ps: i am very well this morning, going for breakfast now.