[spectre] (fwd) Sign the Petition: Release Ai Weiwei

shelly silver silvernyc at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 15 19:28:28 CEST 2011

dear all:
how much do people truly know about ai weiwei's activism, blog, etc.?

http://china.blogs.time.com/2009/08/12/ai-weiwei-held-in-sichuan/
http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/32619/ai-weiwei-undergoes-brain-surgery-after-beating/

he is not just another artist trying to use caviar activism (is there such a
term?) to further his career.  it seems his strategy has been just the
opposite.  to use his fame to bring attention to issues and voice to people
who otherwise would not have any.  i'm surprised and confused at the
vehemence of some of the arguments above.

liu xiabo, for example, has been sentenced for 11 years.  chinese artists
and activists know that their actions can lead to very serious consequences.
  china would not be bothered to arrest such a high profile artist unless
they saw him as a threat.

to write off what he does as trad-art elitism just doesn't make sense to
me.  yes he's high profile, and no, an unknown artist/activist would not be
getting the attention.  it seems strategically useful for us to bring as
much attention to the fact that if they can disappear such a high profile
artist sparks me to imagine all of the other lesser known people who have
gone the same route.

best,
shelly