[spectre] Exhibitions by Lynette Wallworth & Kutlug Ataman, May 2011

Honor Harger honor at lighthouse.org.uk
Tue Apr 26 21:56:43 CEST 2011

Dear Spectres,

I am writing to let you know about two exciting
exhibitions we are presenting this May.

Lighthouse are delighted to be part of Brighton
Festival 2011, guest directed by Nobel Peace
laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.

We are partnered with the festival on the
presentation of two major exhibitions by
contemporary artists, Kutlug˜ Ataman and Lynette
Wallworth.

These exhibitions, mark a new phase of
Lighthouse's work, where we are taking our
programmes beyond our own venue.  In 2011, under
the thematic title, Beyond Cinema, Lighthouse
will explore the shape of our post-cinematic
world, asking how the increasing ubiquity of
digital technologies has changed our expectations
of film and moving image practices.

ABOUT THE EXHIBITIONS

You can download an illustrated overview of the
exhibitions at the following
link: http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/Lighthouse_at_Brighton_Festival.pdf
I am also including brief summaries of the two shows below.

- Evolution of Fearlessness & Damavand Mountain by Lynette Wallworth
An exhibition curated by Lighthouse for Brighton Festival 2011
University of Brighton Gallery, 58-67 Grand Parade, Brighton
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/whatson/lynette_wallworth.htm

We are delighted to present two installations by
Australian artist, Lynette Wallworth in
partnership with the festival and the University
of Brighton.  Evolution of Fearlessness is an
intimate, interactive installation dealing with
loss, survival and strength. It presents eleven
portraits of women who have survived wars’
concentration camps or extreme acts of
violence. Whilst cinematic techniques are at the
heart of Evolution of Fearlessness, the work goes
beyond cinema in its tactile and immersive form,
revealing the strength of the human spirit.

Lynette Wallworth is an Australian artist who
works with digital media, installation,
photography and film. Her work has been presented
at major festivals and galleries around the
world. She describes her intention as "bringing
together technological advances and ancient
understandings, new media and old practices,
electronics and the electricity of human touch."

- Mesopotamian Dramaturgies by Kutlug˜ Ataman
An exhibition at Brighton Festival 2011
7 May - 29 May 2011
At: The Old Municipal Market, Circus Street, Brighton, BN2 9QF
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/whatson/kutlug_ataman.htm

Lighthouse are thrilled to be working with
Brighton Festival on their presentation of a
major exhibition by acclaimed Turkish artist and
filmmaker, Kutlug˜ Ataman. The centrepiece is the
premiere of Mayhem, a new work commissioned by
the festival. The installation will animate the
atmospheric disused space of the Old Municipal
Market and will be presented alongside two
versions of Su, two major recent works which will
be shown in the UK for the first time.

Kutlug˜ Ataman is a Turkish artist and filmmaker
who has been successful in both feature
film-making and contemporary art, where he works
on complex film and video installations. He is a
recipient of the highly prestigious Carnegie
Prize and has been nominated for the Turner
Prize. His art works have been shown
internationally at major forums such as
Documenta, the Venice Biennale, the Tate
Triennial, and are in international collections,
including those of MoMA and Tate Modern.

I sincerely hope you will be able to visit these
exciting two exhibitions, and to help us
celebrate this new phase of Lighthouse's work.

ARTISTS TALKS

We would also like to invite you to attend one of
the talks Lynette Wallworth will be giving during
her visit to Brighton:

Lighthouse Monthly Talk by Lynette Wallworth, Lighthouse
Thursday 5 May, 1830
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/whatson/lynette_wallworth_monthlytalk.htm

Gallery Talk, University of Brighton
Sunday 8 May, 1530
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/whatson/lynette_wallworth_gallerytalk.htm

Lighthouse
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk

Address: 28 Kensington Street, Brighton, BN1 4AJ, UK
Tel: +44 1273 647197
email: info at lighthouse.org.uk

Find us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/LighthouseArts