[spectre] // The State of Art //

simon swht at clear.net.nz
Wed Aug 10 01:15:28 CEST 2011

on what John Hopkins wrote, with which I largely agree, a small rider -
a jockey, if you will:

State arts funding does not have the interests of the artist or of art
at its centre as its reason. It is rather a symbolic - political and
economic and ethological -  allowance that such things might emerge as
artists and arts which if they do may be managed and organised, judged
and branded.

The critical economy appears to be the next major franchise, of the
semantic Web, for example, as copyright on material expression ceases to
stick, given digital dissolution, and ownership of opinion arises,
stratifies and propagates through personalisation of services, through
P2P recommendation. +, like, :> ... However, arts funding provides
pre-eminently for the ecology that supports managers, organisers, and
critical apparati, even if the latter often give the impression of
parasitism. When societies do not allow the critical threshold of
economic freedom to be reached such that a stage of emergence can be
insured, then what is at risk is an ecology or network.

The state in removing itself from the art/arts equation by withdrawing
funding eliminates a hub from this network. This may not destroy the
network but its deleterious effects will ramify throughout it.

The current system of tertiary student loans in New Zealand we know to
cost more to run than the previous system of student allowances. In
fact, this was known before the system was implemented. Likewise,
looking only at economic indexes, cutting state funding for the arts,
above an ascertainable threshold of sufficient funding, costs the state
more than continuing its support.

How is it possible to ascertain the amount of funding that suffices?
Where the existence of significant arts institutions is threatened,
where that significance is given the larger meaning of 'acting as a hub
for the (artistic, social, civic, ethological, economic, political,
critical, and so on) network,' is where the threshold lies.

Theatres and cinemas are clearly hubs, but that the former is also an
artistic hub, bringing the company responsible for the work together in
the same institution as that in which it is shown. Theatre therefore
displays even more hub-like characteristics when has a resident company
and is not simply the venue for visitors.

Much of this discussion seems to have recycled notions of economic
lean-ness or efficiency, whereby the arts in Europe have grown fat, Brad
Brace for one advocating a crash diet and the dynamic individualism of a
lean mean art-making machine. Is an excess of funding than what suffices
in sustaining significant arts institutions adequate justification to
cut state funding?

I would like to live in a society in which such a problem arises.
Justification is usually from the macroeconomic, with all the attendant
ironies that even minor financial institutions are worthy of state
bail-outs. And as they devolve on macroeconomic arguments they have
recourse to the unscientific theories of fashionable economic thinking,
or ideology.

It is this idea that cutting state funding somehow works or creates
benefits that needs to be demolished.

best,

Simon Taylor

www.squarewhiteworld.com