[spectre] IMAGERY IN THE 21st CENTURY

Oliver Grau Oliver.Grau at donau-uni.ac.at
Sun Aug 21 23:35:15 CEST 2011

Dear Spectres,

it is with great pleasure to announce our collective work:  IMAGERY IN THE 21st CENTURY.

We, the authors, would be delighted by your interest in this new international Anthology:

With best regards

Oliver Grau

IMAGERY IN THE 21st CENTURY
Edited by Oliver GRAU with Thomas VEIGL
Cambridge/Mass., MIT Press, 2011
ISBN-10: 0-262-01572-2

Scholars from science, art and humanities explore the meaning of our new image worlds and offer new strategies for visual analysis.

We are surrounded by images more than ever: Flickr, Facebook, YouTube; thousands of television channels; digital games and virtual worlds, in media art and science, in politics, communication and knowledge representation. The digital image represents endless options for manipulation; images seem capable of changing interactively or even autonomously. Without new efforts to visualize complex ideas, structures, and systems, today's knowledge explosion would be unmanageable. This volume offers systematic and interdisciplinary reflections on these new image worlds and new analytical approaches to the visual.

Imagery in the 21st Century examines this revolution in various fields with researchers from the natural sciences and the humanities to achieve a deeper understanding of the meaning and impact of the image in our time.

The contributors explore and discuss new critical terms of multidisciplinary scope, from database economy to the dramaturgy of hypermedia, from visualisations in neurosciences to the image in bio art. They consider the power of the image in the development of human consciousness, pursue new definitions of visual phenomena, and examine new tools for image research and visual analysis. The goal is to expand visual competence in investigating new visual worlds and to build cross-disciplinary exchanges among the arts, humanities and natural sciences.

Contributors
Marie-Luise ANGERER, Olaf BREIDBACH, Adrian David CHEOK, Wendy CHUN, Sean CUBITT, James ELKINS, Oliver GRAU, Stefan HEIDENREICH, Eduardo KAC, Martin KEMP, Harald KRAEMER, Lev MANOVICH & Jeremy DOUGLASS, Tim Otto ROTH & Andreas DEUTSCH, Martin SCHULZ, Christa SOMMERER & Laurent MIGNONNEAU, David & Dolores STEINMAN, Thomas VEIGL, Martin WARNKE and Peter WEIBEL.

MIT Press: http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=12675