[spectre] Death of an Anarchist poet

Séamas Cain seamascain at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 20:06:54 CET 2011

_________________

The Anarchist poet F. A. Nettelbeck, author of the classic BUG DEATH
and many other works, died on January 20th, 2011.  He had been in
hospital with a cyst on his spine that spread throughout his body.  He
was a truly spontaneous and creative artist, and an enthusiastic and
upbeat friend.  He will be missed.

The archive of F.A. Nettelbeck's papers is in the Avant Writing
Collection at the Ohio State University Libraries ...

http://library.osu.edu/sites/rarebooks/finding/nettelbeck.php

Nettelbeck had long been a fixture in the American literary
underground, authoring over 20 books of poetry and prose, and
interacting with such writers as Amiri Baraka, John M. Bennett,
Douglas Blazek, Charles Bukowski, William S. Burroughs, Tom Clark,
Wanda Coleman, Allen Ginsberg, John Giorno, Anselm Hollo, Karl
Kempton, Richard Kostelanetz, Lyn Lifshin, Gerard Malanga, Michael
McClure, Bob Perelman, Marvin Sackner, Spencer Selby, and Ron
Silliman.  Nettelbeck's groundbreaking cut-up/collage poem BUG DEATH,
published in 1979, challenged the limits of contemporary poetic form,
and carved a path for new types of literary explorations.

http://www.fanettelbeck.com/

Stephen Kessler’s eulogy for F.A. Nettelbeck ...

http://news.santacruz.com/2011/01/24/f._a._nettelbeck_outlaw_poet

A short tribute by Kevin Opstedal ...

http://bluepressbooks.blogspot.com/

Comments by F.A. Nettelbeck ...

"I'm on some blacklist."

"Actually, I'm serious.  I've been around 40 years now & publishing my
shit and it's still the whispering behind my back, 'Should we take him
seriously?'  Damn right, cocksuckers."

"Anti-war protests in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.  Camping out
at Big Sur and around a bonfire here's Simon and Garfunkle (him wasted
sliding down against a tree) but they DID try and sing a little bit!"

"It was during the TET OFFENSIVE and I wouldn't fucking be here but I
faked(?) being nuts and eventually got a 4-F deferment.  I'm proud of
that too.  FUCK 'their' wars.  I fight my own."

"I don't know.  I'm still waiting for the Revolution!"

"WHATEVER IT TAKES TO NEGOTIATE LIFE, with dignity."

An Interview with F.A. Nettelbeck ...

http://assemblypoetryplantmarietta.blogspot.com/2010/08/interview-with-fa-nettelbeck.html

The F.A. Nettelbeck Archive ...

http://library.osu.edu/sites/rarebooks/finding/nettelbeck.php

F.A. Nettelbeck's own blog ...

http://fanettelbeck.blogspot.com/

"Happy Hour," Nettelbeck's most recent publication ...

http://lokidesign.net/2356/2010/11/four-minutes-to-midnight-issue-eleven%E2%80%94happy-hour/

With dignity,

Séamas Cain
http://seamascain-writernetwork.org