[spectre] TV ON THE RADIO #2, a new podcast by Kenneth Goldsmith

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 13:02:56 CET 2011

*TV ON THE RADIO #2, a podcast by Kenneth Goldsmith*

Link: http://rwm.macba.cat/en/specials?id_capsula=813
MP3: http://rwm.macba.cat/uploads/specials/TVontheradio2.mp3
Related info: http://rwm.macba.cat/uploads/20110314/TVontheradio2_eng.pdf

This is the second podcast that accompanies MACBA's exhibition "Are You
Ready for TV?" In the Museum, you can see what happens when the aesthetic of
visual artists collides with the world of television. The results are
anything but what you'd expect to see on TV, full of surrealistic
interventions and disruptions. Or when artists work on television, there is
often an embedded critique of the medium, something that questions the very
essence of what our eyeballs are glued to every night. As curator Chus
Martínez writes about this show: 'This is not an exhibition about
television, but one conceived from the place of television. Its aim: to
study how the diverse ways of grasping images and the life of concepts
contribute to tracing the horizon of our cultural present.'

In our first podcast, we examined what happened when audio artists used the
sounds of television as a source for the audio works. The results –
demonstrated to us by everyone from John Cage to the Evolution Control
Committee – were rich and varied. For this podcast, we actually listen to
the soundtracks from the videos in the show themselves. In essence, we treat
the visual works as if they're audio and see what happens. In most cases, we
discover that the sounds emanating from the visual works can stand on their
own as great listening experiences. In other works, the visuals and sounds
are deliberately 'uninteresting,' tending to highlight the mundane or the
insignificant experiences of life, which of course, are equally rich in an
inverted sort of way. Although there are hundreds of works in the actual
exhibition, we've selected ten to spotlight here that are particularly
varied and interesting and which, taken as a whole, can provide you with the
flavor of MACBA's exhibition, "Are You Ready for TV?".

More at: http://rwm.macba.cat/
Follow us on: http://twitter.com/Radio_Web_MACBA