[spectre] The Juxtaposium / open letter to event organisers

Andreas Broeckmann ab at dortmunder-u.de
Tue Mar 29 18:28:18 CEST 2011

Dear Esther, dear friends,

thanks for an interesting proposal.

Just a thought: In 2005-07, we tried something similar in the weekly
salon event at Berlin's media art lab TESLA, that offered the public
an opportunity to speak with the house's guest artists or with other
artists, curators and researchers who were living in or visiting
Berlin about their work and research. Characteristic for this space
of reflection and discourse in the confrontation with art, media,
technology and science was a rather informal atmosphere in which it
was precisely the unfinished, process-oriented character of artistic
work that could be discussed. Repeatedly the points of departure for
the salons were not 'faits accomplis' but rather questions from
artists about their own work that they themselves posed to the
audience directly. The fragility of this situation never led to
superficial polemics, but rather to interesting and engaged
discussions about the different dimensions of an artistic objective.
Artists consistently praised these events, often indicating that they
had rarely entered into such an open and constructive dialogue with
colleagues and public in the past.

An important aspect of these meetings was that they happened in a
small circle of people (rarely more than 20) and with a core group
who knew each other and shared a certain level of trust towards each
other. This trust - which i believe is more difficult to achieve
among people who don't know each other well - is, i believe,
essential for an uninhibited discourse.

Regards,
-a