[spectre] (fwd) Ars Electronica 2011 - ORIGIN

Andreas Broeckmann ab at dortmunder-u.de
Sat May 14 10:00:10 CEST 2011

Ars Electronica 2011 - ORIGIN

http://new.aec.at/origin/en/about/

Curatorial Statement

by Christine Schöpf and Gerfried Stocker
(Artistic Directors of the Ars Electronica
Festival)

The insatiable hunger for knowledge; the burning
passion to blaze new trails and overturn old
points of view; the wish to find out where we
come from; the longing to endow our existence
with meaning and to establish our place in a
comprehensive model of the universe. The
satisfaction we derive upon getting to the bottom
of these things, explaining them, describing
them, expressing them. These absolutely
quintessential elements of what it means to be
human constitute the shared source of art and
science. They are the driving forces from which
innovation emerges.

Origin - How It All Begins

In cooperation with CERN, an institution in which
more than 8,000 scientists from many countries
are at work expanding the boundaries of our
knowledge of the laws of nature in an effort to
understand the genesis of the universe and the
origins of all matter, we are dedicating the 2011
Ars Electronica Festival to the fascinating world
of leading-edge research on the basic principles
of the cosmos. And in doing so we'll also be
taking a fresh look at the true significance of
places and facilities like CERN. It could very
well be that they are not only models for spaces
conducive to perception and invention that are
indispensible for scientists, but also for the
development of designs for a viable, sustainable
society that humankind needs so urgently now.

(...)