[spectre] Fwd: Istanbul Calling

Andreas Broeckmann ab at dortmunder-u.de
Mon May 30 07:16:27 CEST 2011

Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 14:10:02 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Istanbul Calling
From: "2010LAB" <info at 2010lab.tv>

Istanbul Calling

http://www.2010LAB.tv

LAB NOW
Istanbul calling - New Media and the internet
Digitization and new media are our main topics in
May 2011. So we asked our authors in Istanbul to
describe their point of view. And the results are
interesting: Internet censorship and restrictions
are a daily occurrence. But a lot of people do
not accept that any more. They protest against
the internet ban.
Also artists are concerned with censorship. But
they deal with it on their own way. For example
Genco Gülan: "I'm not afraid of censorship in
Turkey because nobody cares", he claims.
Despite these problems, there are artists who
have established themselves in new media - such
as Korhan Erel. He has an absolute talent for
experimental music.

Best regards
your 2010LAB.tv team

Internet media and democracy

With 35 million internet users population, Turkey
is 12th in the world. As internet gains more
power and internet users become more aware of
this unlimited space, authorities go for
solutions to restrict users by using banners. The
result: the Turkish government foresees the power
of internet and takes precautions by restrictions.

Rally for freedom on the internet

<http://www.2010lab.tv/en/blog/rally-freedom-internet-second-round-coming-22nd-may>But
the people do not accept this. In Istanbul and
all over Turkey internet-users take to the
streets to protest against the internet ban.
There has been unrest for a while about the new
filter system introduced by the Information
Technologies and Communication Institute (BTK) of
Turkey. The new filter system, if it is to be
implemented as planned in August, will categorize
all users of the internet in Turkey since
everyone will have access to it via the filters
they will "have to" choose.

With fish or without: New Media artist Genco Gülan

<http://www.2010lab.tv/en/blog/fish-or-without-new-media-artist-genco-guelan>Our
author Anne Weshinskey is attracted to people who
require several slashes to describe themselves.
There is a misperception that doing too many
things at once spreads a creative person too
thin. But for artist Genco Gülan, engaging in
seemingly unrelated activities is no gimmick. It
is simply the trans-disciplinary nature of New
Media.

Omnibus - music by Korhan Erel

<http://www.2010lab.tv/en/blog/omnibus-music-korhan-erel>Korhan
Erel has issues with the term 'experimental
music'. So how to explain what he does? There are
so many words to describe. Well, so many words
that readers will understand. But Korhan is not
the kind of guy to bother with being understood.
He has rather more important things to deal with.
Like, the 'Omnibus' for instance.

http://www.2010LAB.tv