[spectre] HOSTAGE by Frederik De Wilde at Aksioma Project Space, Ljubljana

Aksioma aksioma4 at siol.net
Tue Nov 29 16:21:27 CET 2011

Aksioma -- Institute for Contemporary Art, Ljubljana, kindly invites you
to the opening of the exhibition:

*Frederik De Wilde*
/*Hostage*/
_www.aksioma.org/hostage <http://www.aksioma.org/hostage>_

*Aksioma | Project Space*
Komenskega 18, Ljubljana, Slovenia
2. --16. 12. 2011

*Exhibition opening and artist's presentation: Friday, 2 december
2011,**7 pm*

Aksioma brochure #13 <http://www.aksioma.org/brochures> > Elise Aspord:
"Beyond the Liminal: Ultra Black Art in Dark Times"

Image for press: _www.aksioma.org/press/hostage.zip
<http://www.aksioma.org/press/hostage.zip>_

*Frederik De Wilde*
/*Hostage*/

The artworks consist of an ultra dark, nano-engineered material that
absorbs all visible light and some invisible light as well, such as
infrared.
The artworks make reference to the works of painters such as Yves Klein,
Malevich, Reinhardt, et al. In contradiction to traditional paintings,
these artworks are made from atomic size particles using chemical vapor
deposition, thereby creating a Vertigo-esque black "forest" of loosely
and vertically aligned carbon nanotubes. This bottom-up technique is
quite novel and reflects upon the transition from pigments to structural
color, and the spectral behavior and geometry of the nano object.
Thinking outside of the box (read: art and the art world), one could
equally think of these artworks as icons (attempts) for the "dark" times
we are currently facing (economics, social, ecological, etc.) while on
the other hand presenting a radical new constructive and (still) Utopic
model with which to face the challenges of our times, e.g. building our
world anew atom by atom. In general, one can also notice a correlation
between the limits of our perception and of space (interstellar space,
our mind, etc.) and what we are currently able to perceive (mediated
through technology or not) and what we cannot perceive. This is the
liminal point: the point where we can only imagine what lies beyond the
black canvas or space; the unknown (intended psychologically as well).
This is the true point where art & science collide, and it is the
passion for discovery that binds both seemingly different -- worlds.

Works on display:
/Hostage/
/Hostage pt. 1.0 SCAN/
/Hostage pt. 2.0 Levitation/
/Hostage pt. 3.0 Speaking In2 The VOID/

*Frederik De Wilde*(BE), born 1975, studied fine arts (MA), audio-visual
arts (MA) and followed a pre-education in architecture, studied one year
of philosophy and concluded his studies with a post-graduate degree in
new media, arts & design at TRANSMEDIA (Post Graduate), where he was
initiated in software programming. Frederik works on the interstice
between art, science and technology, with strong interests in ecology,
physics and social innovation. His work has been exhibited at festivals
worldwide and has received several awards.
More at: _www.frederik-de-wilde.com <http://www.frederik-de-wilde.com/>_

*Production: *Aksioma -- Institute for Contemporary Art, Ljubljana, 2011
_www.aksioma.org <http://www.aksioma.org/>_

Artistic director: Janez Jans(a
Executive producer: Marcela Okretic(
Public relations: Mojca Zupanic(
Technical support: Valter Udovic(ic'
Assistant: Sonja Grdina

/*Project powered by Rice University, Texas, Houston, USA.
With the support of the Flemish Ministry of Culture, Belgium.*/

/*Exhibition supported by the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of
Slovenia
and the Municipality*//*of Ljubljana.*/
/Sponsor: Datacenter d.o.o./

/This event is organized in the framework of ARSCOPE (Art-Science
Co-OPeration Environment) project
co-financed by the EU Culture programme and implemented in partnership
of TAKOMAT (DE), CIANT (CZ) and AKSIOMA (SI)./

*Contact:*
Marcela Okretic(, 041 250 830, aksioma4 at siol.net
*Aksioma | Institute for Contemporary Art, Ljubljana*
Neubergerjeva 25, 1000 Ljubljana
tel.: + 386 -- (0)590 -- 54360
www.aksioma.org