[spectre] MEMORABILIA. COLLECTING SOUNDS WITH... Mark Gergis. Part II (Rare music from the Middle East and South East Asia)

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 13:44:15 CEST 2011

*MEMORABILIA. COLLECTING SOUNDS WITH... Mark Gergis. Part II*

Produced and selected by Mark Gergis

Link: http://bit.ly/qiQPsd <http://bit.ly/qadsaK>

MEMORABILIA. COLLECTING SOUNDS WITH… seeks to break through to unearth and
reveal private collections of music and sound memorabilia. It is a
historiography of sound collecting that reveals the unseen and passionate
work of the amateur collector while reconstructing multiple parallel
histories such as the evolution of recording formats, archiving issues, the
collecting market and the evolution of musical styles beyond the
marketplace.

Each episode in the series is accompanied by an additional programme
featuring an exclusive music selection by each of the collectors. *This show
features a musical selection of some of the anomalies found in Mark Gergis'
sound collection, discovering rare music from the Middle East and South East
Asia.*

*Mark Gergis on his music selection: *"After poring through hundreds of
sound sources from a specific region, familiarity kicks in and things can
tend to get repetitive and homogenous. But there are always surprise audio
anomalies that stand out. One of my favorite things about collecting sounds
is finding these anomalies in a specific regional style or genre I’m
researching, mainly to see what the parameters were within that genre –
where it challenged itself, either intentionally or accidentally, whether it
be in the production values, the instrumentation or in the fusion of styles
(effectively or not).

This collection focuses on a few standout materials recorded or acquired on
the continent of Asia. The selections are from Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Sumatra
and Thailand and span at least four decades, but are artificially unified
here by aesthetic, and reflect the nature of what I collect from a location
– sounds, radio recordings and music found on vinyl, cassette tape or MP3.
Featured here are the lesser heard sounds of Arab and Islamic children's
musics, a political song sung by the Iraqi women's federation of Saddam's
Iraq, and more, intertwined with brief folk-pop musical selections from
places I frequent or research often and field and radio recordings I have
made while on location."

Related info: http://bit.ly/pRVrna <http://bit.ly/q5j6d5>
MEMORABILIA. COLLECTING SOUNDS WITH… Mark Gergis. Part I (interview):
http://bit.ly/qadsaK
Follow us at* *http://twitter.com/Radio_Web_MACBA