[spectre] V2_Newsletter October 2011

V2_ joris at v2.nl
Wed Sep 21 14:28:22 CEST 2011

*V2_Newsletter October 2011*

www.v2.nl
V2_ is also on facebook <http://www.facebook.com/V2unstable> and twitter
<http://twitter.com/#%21/V2unstable>

*Blowup: The Era of Objects*

September 29 | 20:00--23:00 | Eendrachtsstraat 10, Rotterdam
Admission: EUR 5,- (Students: free)

Beyond the flying car: join top designers Julian Bleecker (Nokia, Near
Future Laboratory), Alexandra Deschamps-Sonsino (Really Interesting
Group), and Anab Jain (Superflux) in an exploration of speculative design.

We are rapidly entering (and perhaps even have already entered) an era
where we are able to print 3D objects at our desks, make and share
laser-cut gifts for friends, and use off-the-shelf tools to plug these
creations into the web and have them send status updates on our behalf.
We have some commonly-held visions of the future, but what could our
very wildest dreams (and nightmares) look like, beyond the cliché of the
flying car? What answers can we find in speculative design? Our expert
guests will explore these questions in collaboration with the audience
in a hands-on, "open think-tank" format.

http://www.v2.nl/events/blowup-the-era-of-objects

*The Sympathy of Things*

ISBN: 978-90-5662-827-7
Price: EUR 29.50

/The Sympathy of Things: Ruskin and the Ecology of Design/, the new
publication by Lars Spuybroek now available in V2_'s webshop.

"We have to find our way back to beauty," writes Lars Spuybroek in the
introduction to /The Sympathy of Things/. In this book Spuybroek argues
that we must "undo" the twentieth century -- the age in which the
sublime turned from an art category into a technical reality. This leads
him to the aesthetical insights of the nineteenth-century English art
critic John Ruskin, from which he distils pointers for our time.

http://www.v2.nl/publishing/the-sympathy-of-things

*Kick off DEAF2012 at TodaysArt*

September 23/24 TodaysArt Festival, The Hague
Tickets: http://todaysart.org/nl/tickets

To kick off we celebrate the return of DEAF together with our friends at
TodaysArt Festival in The Hague. On Friday September 23 the DEAF team
will be present at the opening of the 7th edition of TodaysArt. A
welcome talk by Olof van Winden (director of TodaysArt) Alex
Adriaansens (director of V2_) will be followed by the presentation of
Chico MacMurtrie's /Totemobile/ installation, a coproduction of DEAF and
TodaysArt.

The Dutch Electronic Art Festival - DEAF - makes a big come back next
year. The 2012 edition of DEAF takes place from April 18 till April 22
in both Rotterdam and Amsterdam, and explores 'The Power of Things'.

http://www.v2.nl/lab/blog/Kick-off-DEAF2012