[spectre]  ARID: A Journal of Desert Art, Design and Ecology seeks submissions for Fall 2012 Launch Issue

ANDREA POLLI ANDREA at andreapolli.com
Thu Apr 19 15:54:38 CEST 2012

ARID: A Journal of Desert Art, Design and Ecology is a peer-reviewed bi-annual journal focusing on cross-disciplinary explorations of desert arts, design, culture, and the environment for both scholarly and new audiences. ARID seeks submissions of scholarly articles, curriculum, visual essays, and other media including sound and video that investigate diverse aesthetic, social, cultural, historical, ecological, and political subjects related to desert regions of the American Southwest and beyond. ARID emphasizes the convergence of art, design, and culture with science, ecology, geography, and other related disciplines to create a unique snapshot of and dialog about desert environs and cultures with a vested and active interest in the desert as a point of creative investigation. ARID is an interdisciplinary online project jointly published by multiple institutions launching in fall 2012.

ARID seeks written submissions from independent scholars, writers, researchers, and journalists that showcase innovative, compelling, and intellectually rigorous storytelling. We also encourage visual, film, and audio submissions including photo essays, illustrations, cinema, soundscapes, music, and other forms of cultural production.  We encourage both scholarly articles and papers as well shorter, more informal essays.

Authors are encouraged to submit related art and photography with their written pieces. Artists and photographers may submit stand-alone visual essays. Articles and essays must be original and unpublished and not under consideration by other journals at the time of submission. We will consider previously published media works on a case-by-case basis.

Submissions will be accepted for our first issue beginning April 1st through June 1st, 2012. For more information and media submission guidelines please visit: www.aridjournal.org.
We will consider submissions for the following categories:

Pedagogies?A place to publish hypotheses, experiments, and results for those attempting to redefine an education in art, media, and design along environmental and social practice lines. We are particularly interested in field-based pedagogy with an emphasis on desert geographies.
Practices?Practices, projects, and ideas referencing art, design, media, and other works related to ARID's mission.

Policies?A place for discussion of the frameworks, rules, regulations and other structures that govern and legislate place, a vehicle to converse with our co-inhabitants, and a means to link to other desert communities.

Perspectives?An ongoing archive of dialogues, fictions, and freeform ideas concerning desert geographies from an array stakeholders, viewpoints, and positions. This section includes book and exhibit reviews.