[spectre] Industrial landscapes of the future/past: DataisNature and the work of Paul Prudence.

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Thu Aug 23 12:41:11 CEST 2012

Sorry for any cross posting...

Industrial landscapes of the future/past: DataisNature and the work of
Paul Prudence.

By Mark Hancock.

http://www.furtherfield.org/features/reviews/industrial-landscapes-futurepast-dataisnature-and-work-paul-prudence

Mark Hancock reviews the research blog DataIsNature
(http://www.dataisnature.com/) and its curator Paul Prudence, whose work
captures the landscapes of post-industrial places and filters them
through the clean/modern frameworks of contemporary media arts practices
to produce some exhilarating and fascinating live performance cinema.

"Algorithms only really come alive in the temporal time-frames that they
move through. Their existence depends on being able to move freely along
time's arrow, unfolding and expanding out in to the universe, or
reversing themselves backwards into a finite point. Every form and
structure that the universe creates is the result of a single step along
that pathway and we're only ever observing it at a single moment. Those
geological steps can take millions of years to unfold and we can only
ever really look back and see the steps that happened before we chose to
observe them. Computational algorithms break down that slow dripping of
nature's possibilities and allow us to become time-travellers, stepping
into any point that we choose to." (Hancock 2012)

--
Other Info:

Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network
http://www.furtherfield.org - for art, technology and social change since 1997

Also - Furtherfield Gallery & Social Space:
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

About Furtherfield:
http://www.furtherfield.org/content/about

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield