[spectre] Economies of the Commons 3 – Sustainable Futures for Digital Archives, Amsterdam October 11 & 12, 2012

Eric Kluitenberg epk at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 23 14:12:32 CEST 2012

Economies of the Commons 3 – Sustainable Futures for Digital Archives
The international conference on the challenges and future of archives

Date: 11 & 12 October 2012
Location: EYE Film Institute Netherlands, Amsterdam
Tickets: €75 early bird fee (ends September 12th)

www.ecommons.eu

Images for the Future presents Economies of the Commons 3 – Sustainable Futures for Digital Archives. This third ‘eCommons’ international conference will be the biggest yet with two streams of extraordinary keynotes, presentations, hands-on workshops and plenty of networking. Economies of the Commons 3 – Sustainable Futures for Digital Archives ('eCommons 3') serves all who look for visionary, theoretical and hands-on practical know how on the current challenges and the future of archives.

Program & Speakers

eCommons 3 explores two themes:

1/ The Challenge of Large Numbers: preservation, digitization and presentation of film, audio, video and photography: lessons learned in the Images for the Future project.

2/ The Future of Archives: in two sessions ('The Economies of Sharing' and 'Re-Imagining the Archive') we examine the new role of digital and on-line rich media collections as active public resources, and we discuss new models to sustain them into the future.

These themes will be explored in two separate tracks. Please see the full program here:
http://ecommons.eu/program/

We are pleased to also announce an impressive list of speakers, including:

  Kate Theimer (ArchivesNext)
  William Uricchio (MIT, Utrecht University)
  Tony Ageh (BBC Archive Development)
  Jill Cousins (Europeana)
  Paul Rutten (independent researcher)
  Alan Hanjalic (Delft University of Technology)
  Jan van Wonderen (Zwijsen educational publishers)
  Felix Stalder (Zurich University of the Arts)
  Mirko Tobias Schaefer (Utrecht University)
  Julia Noordegraaf (University of Amsterdam)
  David Bollier (independent author, activist, blogger and consultant)
  Martin Berendse (Dutch National Archives)
  Bernd Hugenholtz (Institute for Information Law)
  Marco Rendina (Cinecittà Luce)

Economies of the Commons 3 – Sustainable Futures for Digital Archives takes place in the brand new location of EYE Film Institute Netherlands, partner in Images for the Future and, since April 2012, located in one of Amsterdam’s most spectacular new buildings on the IJ river.

We are doing our best to make your stay in Amsterdam as pleasant as possible and have listed some great hotel options. If you decide quickly, you can benefit from the 10% eCommons discount in the acclaimed Lloyd Hotel. More information here: http://ecommons.eu/program/

We hope to welcome you in Amsterdam on October 11th and 12th. Should you have any further questions, please contact Eveline Groot (eg at kl.nl) or Thijs van Exel (te at kl.nl).

For more information and regular updates: www.ecommons.eu