[spectre] Reminder: SCANZ 2013: 3rd nature symposium and hui presentations and papers,

czegledy czegledy at interlog.com
Sat Jun 9 14:52:58 CEST 2012

Hello All,

Apologies for cross-posting.

Abstracts for SCANZ 2013: 3rd nature symposium
and hui presentations and papers, are due by June
15th. Our intention is to meet PBRF standards for
research outputs. The hui/symposium would be for
next years research outputs. By the same token,
both peer reviewed and non-peer reviewed strands
are available.

Aotearoa New Zealand is in a unique and leading
position worldwide due to the length of the
discussion with tangata whenua. Former Crown
Research Institutes such as NIWA and GNS, and
government departments such as DoC have staff
whose position entails being active at the
boundary of Maori and scientific knowledges.
While tangata whenua remain disadvantaged in
overall terms, this position of knowledge bases
side by side is far from the situation in many
countries.

Many of you will have excellent insight into
working across cultures and engaging with digital
media and the environment. It would be great to
see you at SCANZ 2013. Working across cultures is
not viewed as only referring to the
Maori/European border, multicultural situations
are relevant.

The key components of what we are seeking are
presentations that involve either working across
cultures or across disciplines (or both).

Call for abstracts: SCANZ 2013 3rd nature hui and
symposium Feb 1st-3rd 2013 Ngamotu New Plymouth,
Aotearoa New Zealand

Abstracts due June 15th 2012

Keynote speakers: Dr Te Huirangi Waikerepuru and
artist-scientist Nina Czegledy (Adjunct Associate
Professor, Concordia University)

"We know we have built a civilisation which is
unsustainable. How are we developing today the
new culture that will allow us to create a
sustainable civilisation?" — Roger Malina,
Astrophysicist and Editor of Leonardo.

Integrating indigenous perspectives with
creative, environmental, scientific and academic
views on reality is essential to a sustainable
future. At the same time, computing and digital
media are changing our relationship to culture
and the environment.

On the one hand digital technology allows us to
analyse and display data in new ways, as when
anthropologists use language databases to shed
light on the movement of culture.

On the other hand digital technology adds to our
senses, and extends them beyond the body to the
forests and the land. Scientists (along with
artists and others) are transforming Aotearoa New
Zealand into an organism, as Maori have always
known it to be.

SCANZ 2013: 3rd nature will bring together
diverse people to discuss and celebrate how to
approach working together across culture,
discipline and media. We must work together to
resolve the issues emerging at the boundary
between fresh knowledge and deep knowledge,
beginning with sharing knowledge and projects.

Presentations and projects which highlight cross
cultural interchange and/or computing and
electronics projects are sought. The ensuing
discussion, exhibition documentation and
presentations will then be shared in a special
edition of Leonardo Electronic Almanac, the
online publication of Leonardo – the leading
Massachusetts Institute of Technology journal.
Abstracts are due June 15th 2012. A robust
process will be followed.

For more information and detail on the submission
process go to
http://tinyurl.com/scanz2013symposium

The full url is: http://www.intercreate.org/2012/04/scanz2013-3rdnaturehui/

Contact: ian.clothier at intercreate.org

Ian M Clothier
Faculty of Humanities
Western Institute of Technology at Taranaki www.witt.ac.nz
0064 6 757 3100 x 8895
Artist
ianclothier.com

2012
March Waterwheel (online) presentation Tunisia
May Presentation at Technoetic telos - Planetary Collegium, Kefalonia Greece
Sept Wai (curator) at 516Arts, ISEA 2012 Albuquerque
Sept Bus garden at ISEA 2012 Albuquerque

2013
Jan-Feb SCANZ 2013 3rd nature (creative director)
Jun Sea of Ubiquity ISEA 2013