[spectre] The Tunisian collective for Art, Culture and Freedom.

Franck Ancel ancelfranck at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 11:38:07 CEST 2012

Dear Friends,

We imagine that you have been following the current news in Tunisia
these days. Here is a short recap:

Repeated physical aggressions against Tunisian artists and intellectuals
have taken place in several regions of the country: March 2012, a
theatrical event was attacked by thousands of Salafists in downtown
Tunis and artists were aggressed. Intellectuals were attacked during
public conferences. May 2012, an attempt to murder with severe physical
aggression took place on a theatre professor and artist and the members
of an artistic association in Kef...  All this happened openly and
publicly without intervention of the police and without a serious
position being taken by the government to protect artists and condemn
and arrest the aggressors!

 From June 1st to 10th 2012, the « Printemps des Arts » exhibition took
place in Tunis. All went well until the last day when a bailiff took
photos a few of the paintings and took them to a Mosque held by
fundamentalists, claiming that the works were blasphemous.  Islamist
groups on Facebook then made a montage of a few of the paintings they
judged blasphemous (the caricature of a bearded man, the installation of
women's busts being lapidated, ants coming out of a schoolchild's bag
and forming the word « Glory to God » knowing that the ant is a
privileged insect in the Qur'an) and adding photos of paintings and
works that had never been exhibited in the event let alone in Tunisia.

 From that moment, a snowball effect ensued: extremists attacked the
Abdelliya Palace were the exhibition took place, destroying and burning
works of art, private and public premises were vandalised,
confrontations between the police and fundamentalists took place causing
dozens of wounded and even one death among the ranks of the Salafist
trouble makers....

Instead of appeasing tensions and re-establishing the truth about the
exhibition, the members of Government accused the artists of attacking
symbols of Islam.

The authorities thus entertained the confusion in the minds of the
people and participated to the division.  And on top of all that, our
own Minister, M Mehdi Mabrouk, Minister of Culture, contributed to
blacklisting of creators by deciding to close the space Abdelliya and by
suing the organisers of the exhibition, thus    exposing the artists to
popular condemnation and trial by the mob.

Some leaders of opinion such as the Imam of the Zitouna Mosque
(http://www.tuniscope.com/index.php/article/14137/actualites/tunisie/fdfdds-481415),
or heads of Salafist groups, clearly called out for the murder of our
artists. Many artists now receive death threats by text message, or
phone calls or through the social networks every day.

The Union of visual artists announced in a press conference that they
would sue three Ministers including the Minister of Culture.

We are writing to you, dear colleagues, friends of Art and freedom in
order for you to support us in the face of this new Inquisition. We ask
you to publish press releases expressing your solidarity with the
Tunisian artists.

In order for this to have a strong and efficient impact, these releases
should be official and signed by a large number of unions and
associations in the fields of Art (visual art, cinema, dance, theatre,
music...)

A very vigorous international denunciation addressed to this government
published in Newspapers and on the Net would represent and extraordinary
disavowal which would force them to preserve freedom of conscience,
creation, expression and the life of artists.

The situation is very critical and your support and commitment for our
cause would be a salutary action.

Thanking you in advance for your support.

The Tunisian collective for Art, Culture and Freedom.

http://www.petitions24.net/appel_a_soutenir_les_artistes_tunisiens_call_for_the_support_of_t