[spectre] Early-bird registration for ISEA2012 now open!

ANDREA POLLI ANDREA at andreapolli.com
Mon Jun 25 16:54:03 CEST 2012

Please forward widely! Thanks!

-------- Original Message --------

http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=1407730.11070040961/rid=2a0bf893b
8961e1082b4985fe6478bcc
> ___________________________________
>

> PRESS RELEASE
>
> ISEA2012 Albuquerque: Machine Wilderness
>
> Re-envisioning Art, Technology and Nature
>

> 516 ARTS announces ISEA2012 ALBUQUERQUE: MACHINE WILDERNESS 18th
International Symposium on Electronic Art (ISEA)

> produced by 516 ARTS with The University of New Mexico, The Albuquerque
Museum of Art & History

> and 100+ partners
>
> WHEN:
>
> Conference:
>
> Exhibition:
>
> Regional Programs:
>
> September 19  24, 2012
>
> September 20, 2012  January 6, 2013
>
> September  December, 2012
>
> WHERE:
>
> 516 ARTS, The Albuquerque Museum of Art & History, National Hispanic
Cultural Center, New Mexico Museum of Natural History & Science & multiple
venues around Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos

suzanne at isea2012.org, 505-242-1445

aconnors at cabq.gov, 505-243-7255

> PHOTOS:
>
> Suzanne Sbarge, suzanne at isea2012.org, 505-242-1445
>
> CONTRIBUTE:
>
> Check out our Kickstarter campaign to contribute to ISEA2012 and receive
great loot and incentives. Contact the nonprofit 516 ARTS for the direct
link to the June/July Kickstarter campaign, or to contribute to ISEA2012
anytime!

> In the fall of 2012, 516 ARTS and partners present ISEA2012 Albuquerque:
Machine Wilderness, a conference, exhibition and season-long series of
events exploring the discourse of global proportions on the subject of art,
technology and nature. The International Symposium on Electronic Art is the
worlds premier forum for advancing exchange and innovation among artists,
scientists and technologists. As host for ISEA2012, Albuquerque joins
Istanbul, Helsinki, Munich, Singapore, Sydney and other major cities
worldwide as an international center for creativity and technology.

> Over 100 artists and 400 presenters are coming from 29 countries to
present and/or exhibit at ISEA2012. The symposium consists of the main
conference based in Albuquerque (September 19  24, 2012), a multi-site
exhibition based at 516 ARTS and The Albuquerque Museum of Art & History
(September 20, 2012  January, 6, 2013), and an expansive, regional
collaboration throughout the fall of 2012, with art exhibitions, public
programs and an in-depth youth education program focused on teaching STEM
(Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) through Art. ISEA2012 includes
ground-breaking collaborations between artists and scholars with scientific
and technological communities. It will draw a wealth of leading creative
minds from around the globe, and engage our local community through
innovative partnerships.

> The ISEA2012 title Machine Wilderness references the New Mexico region as
an area of rapid growth and technology within vast expanses of open land,
and aims to present visions of a more humane interaction between technology
and wilderness in which machines can take many forms to support life on
Earth. Machine Wilderness focuses on creative solutions to the challenge of
advancing technology while sustaining the global natural environment.
Sub-themes include Power, Creative Economies, Transportation, Wildlife and
The Cosmos.

> ISEA2012 CONFERENCE - Register at www.isea2012.org
>
> The main conference takes place in Albuquerque September 19  24, 2012,
with pre-conference activities in Southern New Mexico and El Paso,
post-conference days along New Mexicos Cultural Corridor in Santa Fe and
Taos, and several field trips. A sampling of conference programs can be
viewed at www.isea2012.org and in the ISEA2012 guide. The conference
includes the following focus days: Latin American Forum showcases Latin
American digital culture, critical theory and media arts, highlighting
fresh contributions coming from south of the U.S. border; and Intel
Education Day focuses on STEM Education (Science, Technology, Engineering
and Math) through Art, with programs for teachers and youth as part of the
statewide ISEA2012 Education Program sponsored by Intel. Scholarships are
available for 6th  12th teachers and students.

> ISEA2012 EXHIBITION
>
> The main exhibition for ISEA2012 is based at both The Albuquerque Museum
of Art & History and 516 ARTS, with off-site projects at the
Anderson-Abruzzo Albuquerque International Balloon Museum, the New Mexico
Museum of Natural History, the Rainosek Gallery at the UNM School of
Architecture & Planning, Richard Levy Gallery and the Alvarado Urban Farm.
The exhibition features work that combines art, science and technology,
demonstrating the role art can play in re-envisioning the world. The over
100 artists are from 16 countries: Austria, Brazil, Canada, Finland,
France, Germany, Italy, Korea, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand,
Portugal, Scotland, Spain, the U.K. and the USA. The exhibition was juried
and curated through an international call for proposals, which drew close
to 1,500 submissions from artists and presenters around the globe. The
exhibition will be accompanied by a catalog published by the acclaimed
Radius Books, which will be distributed internationally.

> ARTISTS & PRESENTERS
>
> The following are just a few of the exciting, featured, guest performers
and artists. During the conference, the legendary Laurie Anderson, icon of
the electronic art and music world, performs her brand new show at
ISEA2012. DIRTDAY! and gives a keynote talk (presented with AMP concerts).
David Moss (Germany), performs Hyperglyphyx, a solo performance on the
edges of technology featuring voice, electronics, stories and FTL (faster
than logic) communication (presented with Outpost Performance Space).
During the Downtown Block Party, composer Christopher Marianetti and
dancer/choreographer Mary Margaret Moore perform Symphony 505, in which low
rider cars become the instruments of a new music and dance work. As music
emanates from the cars internal sound systems, the cars become like a
vehicular orchestra. At the end of the work, the audience is able to play
or DJ the cars, from local car clubs the Down Low Car Club and La Familia.
Titia Ex (The Netherlands) presents Flower from the Universe, a gigantic
sculpture that is a light flower with a heart modeled on a nerve cell,
encircled by a garland of graceful stems. By walking around the artwork,
visitors set off a wave of moving colors. Ivan Puig and Andrs Padillla
Domene (Mexico) display SEFT-1, a Manned Railway Exploration Probe vehicle
equipped with a Hi-Rail system that enables it to move on rails traveling
abandoned railways to document largely remote areas of the country,
creating a futuristic exploration of Mexicos past. Coco Fusco speaks on the
panel Technotopia: The Colonization of the Body as the Ultimate Frontier,
about the use of technologies to problematize the Southwestern border of
the United States. Kwende Kefentse (Canada) and Tahir Hemphill speak on how
Hip Hop culture and music have been transformed by technological
innovations. Chip Lord speaks for his part in the Ant Farm Collective and
the creation of Cadillac Ranch to address transportation, media and
communication and land art. Fred Paulino and Lucas Mafra (Brazil) present
their Gambiocycle, a mobile broadcast unit that is a tricycle containing
electronic gear for interactive video projection and digital graffiti in
public space. Other artists include Rubn Ortiz-Torres, Leo Villarael, Agnes
Chavez, Nam June Paik, Seoungho Cho (Korea) and many more!

> ISEA2012 REGIONAL COLLABORATION
>
> Coordinated by 516 ARTS, the season-long, regional collaboration involves
over 100 partnering organizations including museums, arts organizations,
environmental groups, government and the scientific and technological
communities. See the ISEA2012 guide for a full listing of ISEA2012 fall
collaboration programs.

> ISEA INTERNATIONAL
>
> ISEA2012 is part of a series of symposia that started in 1988 and is
overseen by the ISEA International foundation (www.isea-web.org). The
International Symposia on Electronic Art have become the most important
academic gathering on electronic art world-wide and aim at bringing
together the worlds of art and science. ISEA is a nomadic event. The next
editions are ISEA2013 in Sydney, Australia (www.isea2013.org) and ISEA2014
in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

> IMAGES: LEFT: Titia Ex (The Netherlands), Flower from the Universe  Fred
Paulino & Lucas Mafra (Brazil), Gambiocycle  D. Bryon Darby (USA), Seventy
Flights in Ninety Minutes  Filipa De Lima Valente (USA), Liminoid Bloom*s.

http://e2ma.net/app/view:Forward/ID:1407730.11070040961/send_to_friend/rid:2
a0bf893b8961e1082b4985fe6478bcc

> This email was sent to andrea at andreapolli.com. To ensure that you
continue receiving our emails, please add us to your address book or safe
list.

http://e2ma.net/app/view:Manage/signupId:1416394/id:1407730.11070040961/rid:
http://e2ma.net/app/view:OptOut/ID:1407730.11070040961/signupId:1416394/rid:
2a0bf893b8961e1082b4985fe6478bcc

> Got this as a forward? Sign up to receive our future emails:
http://e2ma.net/app/view:Join/signupId:1416394/acctId:1407730/mailingId:2089
19701/rid:2a0bf893b8961e1082b4985fe6478bcc