[spectre] Salon Ecosophy #2: Michael Saup: May 18(fri) 19-21:00 (JST) with USTREAM

yukiko shikata stoicomedia at gmail.com
Mon May 14 12:41:19 CEST 2012

Salon Ecosophy #2

Michael Saup
“1001 SUNS – The Archeology of Future”

Date: May 18 (fri) 19:00-21:00 (JST)
Location: Iidabashi Bunmei, Tokyo http://bun-mei.org/
*Entrance: Donation welcome!
USTREAM:http://www.ustream.tv/channel/salon-ecosophy

Host: Yukiko Shikata / Salon Ecosophy
Translation: Shuichi Fukazawa (German/Japanese)
Co-operation: Iidabashi Bunmei
Support: Andreas Erhart

Split the atom's heart, and lo! Within it thou wilt find a sun. --
Persian mystic poem quoted by Bahá'u'lláh in "The Seven Valleys" 1860, Baghdad

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky,
that would be like the splendor of the mighty one. Now I am become
Death (Time), destroyer of worlds.
(Robert Oppenheimer quoting the Hindu Scripture Bhagavad Gita on the
occasion of the first nuclear detonation "Trinity" in New Mexico 1945,
putting Albert Einstein's abstract equation E=mc2 into reality)

And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of
his prison, and shall go out to deceive the nations. -- Bible,
Revelation 20:7

In this talk I will examine the shift from nuclear culture employing
radiation released via atoms and bits stored via electrons towards the
point we face now: mainstream paradigms of society are being inverted
by the discovery of our possible final cultural heritage: a large
drawing with an atomic pencil on the canvas of time, all accomplished
by only two generations. It is at about time to base culture again on
cultural values instead of technological assets.

"1001 Suns" is the title of the feature movie I am currently working
on. The promethean ancient North American Indian story "Raven steals
the Sun" sets the frame for the analysis of the beginning and ending
of the nuclear age. A story as old as mankind already encarved on a
column in Göbekli Tepe, Turkey, the oldest temple of mankind dating
back to 11000 - 9000 BC. "1001 Suns" will be a "Human Fiction" movie.

Since we have the ability to make a choice, our collective that became
connective will have to become corrective. As long as we transform our
thoughts and words into a new reality, there is hope that we will
invent a concept of a new future. This is what we must model for our
children.

Since the 1000 years (1000 suns) of imprisonment of "Evil" have
obviously expired 1945 in the desert of New Mexico right after the
fall of the German "1000-Year Empire", I have a lot of hope, that we
will be able to take a step back in order to step out of the nuclear
cave - the cave where Werner Heisenberg and his colleagues have left
the forgotten first nuclear cave painting on the skin of time.

"Radioactive traces will be the heritage to the next generations and
not the cultural artifacts."
Margit Rosen/ZKM on Pulse8 by Michael Saup 1992

[Michael Saup]
Born in Hechingen 1961, based in Berlin. Studied Music at Dominican
University, San Rafael, California, USA, Computer Science at the
University Furtwangen and Visual Communication at the Hochschule für
Gestaltung (University of Design), Offenbach. Instructed at the
Akademie der Bildenden Künste (Academy of Visual Arts), Munich;
artistic-scholarly staff member at the Institute for New Media at the
Städelschule, Frankfurt/M.; from 1999 to 2005 Professor at the
Hochschule für Gestaltung (University of Design)/ZKM, Karlsruhe. In
Japan he exhibited the media art work “R111” at “ARTLAB-Prospect”
exhibition in 2001, Tokyo, by Canon ARTLAB. Currently Saup is working
on the new film “1001 Suns”. In Japan, he will show his latest work
“SHIMA” at the “Possible Water” exhibition curated by Yukiko Shikata
(July 7 – 21, 2012, Goethe Institut Tokyo). http://1001suns.com/