[spectre] Sheroes #10: Grace Jones Thursday, May 24, 2012. 11PM. Toronto.

Chiara Passa chiarapassa at gmail.com
Thu May 17 14:12:29 CEST 2012

The cross-dressings of Gendah Bendah Grace Jones latest inductee to
the League of Legendary Ladies Yuh dun know that masculine-feminine
skyscraper TORONTO - (Wednesday, May 16, 2012) - Sheroes will be
presenting their latest event, Sheroes #10: Grace Jones, on Thursday,
May 24th at The Beaver (1192 Queen Street West).

The monthly, limited-run art party series — which brings together on
and offline works that playfully and peformatively explore the
iconography and fan culture surrounding the League of Legendary Ladies
— will be co-headlined by Juno Award-winning dub poet Lillian Allen
and premier vogueing house of Canada House of Monroe.

For Sheroes #10: Grace Jones, organizer Rea McNamara has commissioned
an impressive lineup of local and international artists and
performers. Inspired by the Gendah Bendah's neo-Queen Nanny-ness,
these performances, digital animations and interactive installations
will reinterpret and remix for one night only our current muse.

Sheroes #10: Grace Jones
Thursday, May 24, 2012. 11PM.
The Beaver (1192 Queen Street West)

Contact: Rea McNamara <totallyeffyeahsheroes at gmail.com>

Performances

Lillian Allen: The legendary dub poet brings the word, sound and power
to Sheroes #10. A recognized cultural activist that has been on the
Toronto scene since the seventies, she is considered a "founding
mother" of the Canadian dub poetry legacy. Lillian will collaborate
with Sheroes salonnière reeraw & local political activist/electronic
musician El Costello (Stop Die Resuscitate).
House of Monroe: The premier voguing House of Canada will catwalk
alongside musical accompaniment from special guest DJ Todd-Rod
Skimmins (The MAKEOVER, SYNCH MODE).
AND THERE'S MOAR!: The Locus of Norwich Imagination Se Ye graces
Sheroes #10 with his Queen Nanny cosplay, the Sheroes Quest continues
with Sheroes salonnière reeraw briefly shifting the immersive party
atmosphere into karaoke machine territory with League of Legendary
Ladies Karaoke, resident DJ NoLoves brings the chunes & emcee
extraodinaire Silk Degrees holds it all down.

Projections

Above: a screen shot of a specially-commissioned animated GIF from
Trinbagonian artist Rodell Warner for Sheroes #10.
Digital Animations: Lorna Mills curates Les post-Gendered et les
autres, a group GIF show projected on the walls of The Beaver. The
show will feature the works of A. Bill Miller, Andrew Benson, Anthony
Antonellis, Chiara Passa, Daniel Rehn, Emilie Gervais, Emilio Gomariz,
Eva Papamargariti, Francoise Gamma, Gaby Cepeda, Georges Jacotey,
Giselle Zatonyl, Grace McEvoy, Haruko Hirukawa, Helen Adamidou, Isaac
Hicks, Juan Manuel Morales, Lorna Mills, Małgosia Woźnica, Manuel
Fernández, Michael Manning, Oz Melo, Rea McNamara, Rodell Warner,
Rollin Leonard, Sally McKay, Sarah Weis, Tony Halmos & Yoshi Sodeoka.

What is Sheroes?
Sheroes is committed to doing herstory right — reinterpreting and
remixing the mythic woman-power that pervades digital and actual
cultures, realizing new works from ephemeral and archival artifacts.

Our next inductee into the League of Legendary Ladies (Pride Toronto
edition!) will be Dusty Springfield on Thursday, June 28th at The
Beaver. For further information regarding our upcoming events, click
here.

All Sheroes events are brainstormed and archived online at
fuckyeahsheroes.tumblr.com, uniting digital communities with real-time
audiences in an ongoing exploration into cultures of fandom and
collaborative content creation.

Visit the Sheroes Archives for a catalogue of our past events.
http://fuckyeahsheroes.tumblr.com/post/23041409709/sheroes-10-grace-jones-press-release?utm_source=Sheroes+Arts+Media&utm_campaign=67b5474e8a-Sheroes_10_Grace_Jones5_16_2012&utm_medium=email

Interactive Installations

Drawn/Painted Grace: Artists Rusiko & Nathan Smith offer different
visual takes on our current muse.
Mas: Trinbagonian mixed media artist Brianna McCarthy creates special
collage masks that will encourage party goers to engage in the Gendah
Bendah's cross-dressings.
Nail Art Bar: Our popular nail artist Smack of the Hand returns,
offering Sheroes attendees PWYC Gendah Bendah-inspired manis.
The Sheroes Stan Residency Program Sharing the Aca-Fen Knowledge: Meet
Paul Petro, our second Sheroes Stan. The Toronto dealer of Paul Petro
Contemporary Art — is answering any Grace stan questions this month.
(You can see his facilitated Grace discussions in our active Facebook
group.)

Sheroes partners with Whippersnapper Gallery for central mid-summer
closing event
This is the end: local Artist-Run Centre Whippersnapper will be
co-presenting Sheroes: Virtual Season, a massive all-day and night art
and music festival in Kensington Market on July 29's Pedestrian
Sunday. Click here for more information regarding our closing event,
which will be a part of the gallery's summer programming initiative.