[spectre] Community Memory through Appropriated Media: An Interview with Eugenio Tisselli.

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Fri Nov 30 15:12:22 CET 2012

Sorry for any cross posting...

Community Memory through Appropriated Media: An Interview with Eugenio
Tisselli.

Interview by Marc Garrett.

I met Eugenio Tisselli in Edinburgh at the Remediating the Social
conference in November 2012. Eugenio gave a presentation on the project
Sauti ya wakulima, "The voice of the farmers". A collaborative knowledge
base created by farmers from the Chambezi region of the Bagamoyo
District in Tanzania, and "by gathering audiovisual evidence of their
practices they use smartphones to publish images and voice recordings on
the Internet", documenting and sharing their daily practices.

I was struck by his sensitivity to the social contexts and political
questions around this type of project engagement. This interview
explores the challenges we all face in connecting to a deeper
understanding of what technology can succeed in doing beyond the usual
hype of the 'New' and its entwined consumerist diversions. Not only does
the conversation highlight how communities can work together in
collaborating with technology on their own terms. But, it also discusses
the artists' role in the age of climate change and the economic crisis,
locally and globally.

http://www.furtherfield.org/features/interviews/community-memory-through-appropriated-media-interview-eugenio-tisselli

Other Info:

Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network
http://www.furtherfield.org - for art, technology and social change since 1997

Also - Furtherfield Gallery&  Social Space:
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

About Furtherfield:
http://www.furtherfield.org/content/about

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield