[spectre] Data as Culture - call for Data Art proposals

julie freeman julie at translatingnature.org
Thu Oct 18 16:54:09 CEST 2012

Hello - could you post to the Spectre list please?

Julie

---starts---
Data-Driven Art proposals invited by Tim Berners-Lee's new Open Data Institute.

One of the ODI’s goals is to showcase the possibilities of open data and we aim to highlight the wide-ranging potential for this emerging field. Proposals are sought for all forms of data-driven art, including: screen, wall, or ceiling based, free-standing, roaming, interactive, site-specific, permanent or temporary. We are looking for time-based or kinetic works but all data-generated work will be accepted for review.

The work should, in some way, incorporate or reflect the ODI’s focus on getting value from data: social, economic, and/or environmental. Data can be real-time or static, collected from personal or local sensors (e.g. heart-rate, movement, transport systems) or online global sources (e.g. stock market, air pollution, population demographics).

We are interested in work that represents change, movement, and fluctuation in data in innovative ways, abstractly or literally.

We aim to engage at least 5 artists:

	• Existing or adapted works will be awarded £1,000
	• New commissions will receive up to £3,000

The application deadline is very soon - SUNDAY 28th OCTOBER, (with delivery by end of November) however the application requirements are fairly simple.

Further details here: http://www.mztek.org/odi-data-art-commission/
---ends---

julie at translatingnature.org
@misslake