[spectre] (fwd) website of Video Vortex #9 (Feb. 28-March 2, Lueneburg) online now

Andreas Broeckmann broeckmann at leuphana.de
Fri Sep 14 13:46:35 CEST 2012

from: Vera Tollmann (vera.tollmann at gmx.net)

Hi,

the website of Video Vortex number 9 is online now.

http://videovortex9.net/

All too often the (theoretical) discourse on moving images and online
video is out of sync with the actual field of video culture and its
most current phenomenologies and developments. Therefore we want to
gather videos of all shades with the help of “navigators,” people we
trust to point out and profile some of the groups or constellations of
video that make up the wild and divergent currents of video culture.
While English remains the default language for international
communication, we also look for video cultures inside Russia’s Runet,
behind the Chinese firewall and in African countries’ active social
(video) networks. How to search by yourself without speaking Mandarin
or Russian? How to get outside your filter bubble? What else is there
beyond viral video and amateur clips posted by the evening news? What
do new forms of video look like? Is it still the so-called amateur
behind the camera, or do we find new notions of professionalism? How  do
different cultural uses of online media become visible?

To expand Video Vortex beyond the conference, we will augment the
conference experience with video-related input of all sorts. Everybody
has had personal and often erratic glimpses via channels,
subscriptions, circles of acquaintance, specialized blogs, mailing
lists, etc. Rather than static archives of edited files we find
fragments, links and lists, enigmatic in unknown contexts. Tools and
methods are as diversified as the forms of video culture itself.

We invited correspondents in Tokyo, Athens, Moscow, Lagos, Beijing and
other places to observe and select videos from their local spheres,  and
to comment on their specific grammar. We are interested in video  clips
such as glitches, mashups, activist recordings, tutorials, news  clips
and media criticism as a way of understanding local politics,
technologies, visual culture – and languages.

The conference will take place from February 28 to March 2, 2013 in
Lueneburg, near Hamburg.

Please save the date.

Best,
Vera