[spectre] The Goldsmiths Radical Media Forum "Disrupting The Gaze: Part 1 - Art intervention & the Tate Gallery". By Marc Garrett.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue Feb 12 12:13:32 CET 2013

Sorry for any cross posting...

The Goldsmiths Radical Media Forum "Disrupting The Gaze: Part 1 - Art
intervention & the Tate Gallery". By Marc Garrett.

Thursday, February 21, 2013, 5:30 (New Academic Building 102)
https://sites.google.com/site/mcradicalmedia/

Marc Garrett will present the first section of his two part paper
'Disrupting The Gaze'. Part one 'Art Intervention and the Tate Gallery'.

“The word “art” can conjure up a vision of objects in an art gallery,
showroom or museum, that can be perceived as reinforcing the values and
machinations of the victors of history as leisure objects for elite
entertainment, distraction and/or decoration - or the narcissistic
expression of an isolated self-regarding individual.” (Garrett & Catlow
2012)

We live in a world riddled with contradictions and confusing signals.
Our histories are assessed, judged and introduced as fact yet there are
so many bits missing. We accept what is given through sound bite forms
of mediation and end up using misinformation as our cultural
foundations, and then we build on these ‘acquired’ assumptions as our
‘imagined’ guidelines. This critique studies how contemporary artists
are challenging these defaults through their connected enactments and
critical inquiries of the existing conditions. It highlights a continual
dialogue involving a historical struggle between what is condoned as
legitimate art and knowledge, and what is not. It looks at a complexity,
embedded in our culture and its class divisions in Britain. And draws
upon struggles going as far back as the enlightenment, the industrial
revolution, colonialism and slavery, to present day concerns with
neoliberalism and its dominance. The Tate gallery is used as a reference
point and a site of focus for these various historical and contemporary,
political and societal conflicts.

The artists’ and art groups featured, include Graham Harwood, Platform,
Liberate The Tate, IOCOSE, Tamiko Thiel, and Mark Wallinger; each has
delivered a particular (unofficial and official) mode of art
intervention at the Tate Gallery. Whether these artistic activities
concern economic, ecological, historical, political or hierarchical
conditions, they all connect in different ways. They meet, not through
style or as part of a field of practice, but as contemporary artistic
practitioners exploring their own states of agency in a world where our
‘public’ interfaces are as much a necessary place of creative
engagement, as is the already accepted physical ‘inner’ sanctum of the
gallery space. However, their work has become equally significant
(perhaps even more) than, the mainstream art establishment’s franchised
celebrities.

In keeping with Gregory Sholette’s recently, published vindication for
those artists hidden away where the art establishment’s light rarely
shines, “when, the excluded are made visible, when they demand
visibility, it is always ultimately a matter of politics and rethinking
history.” (Sholette 2011) This paper draws upon a wider, contemporary
art culture and audience existing out there. However, the artistic
discoveries and discourse coming out of this independent art culture is
not reflected back to us. Instead, we receive more of the same, marketed
franchises. The central, mainstream version of contemporary art has
found its allies within a global and corporate culture, where business
dictate’s art value. Yet, there is a spirit of artistic emancipation
that exists and is thriving out there. It is self styled, self governed
and liberated from the restrictive norms that dominate our mediated
gaze, and this is what this paper is mainly about.

Marc Garrett is co-director and co-founder, with artist Ruth Catlow of
the Internet arts collectives and communities – Furtherfield.org,
Furthernoise.org, Netbehaviour.org, also co-founder and
co-curator/director of the gallery space formerly known as 'HTTP
Gallery' now called the Furtherfield Gallery in London (Finsbury Park),
UK. Co-curating various contemporary Media Arts and hybrid exhibitions,
projects nationally and internationally. Co-editor of 'Artists
Re:Thinking Games' with Ruth Catlow and Corrado Morgana 2010. Hosted
Furtherfield's critically acclaimed weekly broadcast on UK's Resonance
FM Radio, a series of hour long live interviews with people working at
the edge of contemporary practices in art, technology & social change.
Currently studying Art history Phd at the University of London, Birkbeck
College.

The Goldsmiths Radical Media Forum is a lecture series sponsored by the
Department of Media & Communications at Goldsmiths, University of
London, and is currently being organized by PhD student Corey Schultz
(email: c.schultz AT gold.ac.uk). Like the diversity of the department
itself, our aim is to create a wide range of speakers from a variety of
fields related to media and communications, including (but not limited
to), film, journalism, art, and cultural studies.

The topic for the 2012/13 year is "Radical Media Forum: Media
Experiments." The aim is to showcase various kinds of innovative work
that are currently being developed in the discipline, and these
experiments can therefore be conceptual, textual, visual, methodological
and technical. We are interested in presenting transdisciplinary work on
media as well as work that crosses the theory-practice divide. At the
same time, we want to feature theoretical or empirically-driven
presentations that experiment with ideas and concepts around "the
media," or with ways of "studying media."