[spectre] V2_ newsletter February 2013

Arie A arie at v2.nl
Mon Feb 18 20:53:32 CET 2013

V2_Newsletter February 2013

www.v2.nl

Summer Sessions Call 2013
www.summersessions.net/
v2.nl/lab/projects/call-summer-sessions-2013

Are you an ambitious, early career artist, full of ideas and ready to
realize your project this summer? The Summer Sessions are short-term
residencies for young artists organized by a network of cultural
organizations all over the world. They offer a highly productive atmosphere
with production support and expert feedback to jumpstart your professional
art practice. The result is a pressure cooker in which you develop a
project, from concept to presentable work, ready to show. Apply by
submitting a video, in which you briefly explain your project, the support
you need and why you should be a part of the Summer Sessions. More info at
www.summersessions.net/.

Chemo Bar by Erik Hobijn at V2_ during the Rotterdam Museum Night
http://v2.nl/erik-hobijns-chemo-bar-at-rotterdam-museum-night-2013
March 9th, 2013
20:00 – 02:00 hrs
Eendrachtsstraat 10, 3012 XL Rotterdam

Ever seen an art installation that is a bar and a distillery in one? Take a
seat in the rotating Chemo Bar by Erik Hobijn. While overhead tubes and
bottles heat, distill, and collect alcohol, Hobijn prepares and serves the
most amazing cocktails right in front of you, accompanied by the sounds of
the turntables of Gert-Jan Hobijn. World-premiere this evening is the
'Olfactory White', a cocktail based on the scientific discovery that smell
is similar to light in that when you mix all colors of light you get no new
color-variation, but just white. Experience for yourself what it tastes
like when the same formula is applied to the taste of a cocktail during the
Rotterdam Museum Night 2013 at V2_.

V2_ recommends the Sonic Acts festival The Dark Universe
www.sonicacts.com
21 – 24 February 2013
Stedelijk Museum, Paradiso, de Balie, NASA, in Amsterdam

>From 21 till 24 February the Sonic Acts festival takes place in Amsterdam,
with a three-day conference, perfomances at the Stedelijk Museum and
Paradiso, an exhibition at NASA, and much much more. Entitled The Dark
Universe the festival explores the boundaries of our knowledge, and shows
work that trigger our senses through light, sound and electromagnetic
vibrations. Check out their website. A passepartout for the full deal,
including the conference, is just 80 euro’s, and for that you will get to
hear amongst others Gerard ’t Hooft, Saskia Sassen, Trevor Paglen,
Biosphere, CM von Hausswolff’s freq_out 9, Maja S.K Ratkje and the
Synchronator Orchestra. And if you fancy partying till early morning, Sonic
Dread (Saturday night 0:00–05:00) has a line-up with the most
forward-looking producers of electronic music, featuring The Bug, patten,
Dean Blunt, Mika Vainio and many others.

“A meteor or some space junk just hit a small city in Russia, there is a
video of it. A mind blowing image to see it moving through the sky. Even
though we are familiar with such fantastic images through Hollywood movies,
the real experience is something else! I couldn’t avoid linking this event
to Sonic Acts 2013 The Dark Universe – to go where no man has gone before
in sound and image explorations. And even though this is the case every
year at Sonic Acts, it now has become the central focus of the festival. So
don’t prepare yourself for the engaging the unknown (that would be a
paradoxical action), no, just surrender to the light frequencies and air
pressure that will bombard your senses to let the unknown and
not-yet-experienced emerge. Yes, I’m ready for Sonic Acts. As always in
this time of year we are leaving our caves again since the darkness is
slowly fading away. It’s the exact timing for taking a deep glimpse into
The Dark Universe before the bright sky takes over again for the months to
come. The Dark Universe, such a great theme! So meet you there at Sonic
Acts!”
Alex Adriaansens, director of V2_, Institute for the Unstable Media.

Rotterdam Museum Night
v2.nl/events/rotterdam-museum-night-2013/
March 9th, 2013
20:00 – 02:00 hrs
Various locations in Rotterdam

Rotterdam’s art and cultural institutions are open to the public on March
9th from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m during the Rotterdam Museum Night. The theme of
this edition is 'Waterlanders', which translates as 'Tears'. 53 museums and
galleries, including V2_, open their doors on the night of Saturday 9 March.

>From the Archive: Erik Hobijn’s Delusions of Self-Immolation
v2.nl/archive/works/delusions-of-self-immolation/

Did you know that Erik Hobijn’s ‘infamous’ installation Delusions of
Self-Immolation  was featured in 1993 at V2_’s exhibition The Body in Ruin?
Check out the photographs and the video from 1993 in which Hobijn explains
his work at v2.nl/archive/works/delusions-of-self-immolation/.

V2_ livestreams on Vimeo
vimeo.com/v2unstable
v2.nl/events/test_lab-etextile-sweatshop

Did you miss our events last year? Check out our website and our
Vimeo-channel, for instance for a full coverage of the Test_lab eTextile
Sweatshop: v2.nl/events/test_lab-etextile-sweatshop and vimeo.com/v2unstable
.