[spectre] Fwd: "Electronic Nocturne: Aesthetics of Debris" presentation and reading by Jeff Noon - Thursday, June 20, 2013, 5:30 Goldsmiths (London)

Gabriel Menotti gabriel.menotti at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 02:34:31 CEST 2013

* Apologies for cross postings*

The Goldsmiths' Department of Media & Communications, Radical Media Forum:
Media Experiments presents:

"Electronic Nocturne: Aesthetics of Debris" presentation and reading by
Jeff Noon

Thursday, June 20, 2013, 5:30, NAB 326 (New Academic Building)
Goldsmiths, New Cross, London
Free, open to the public, no reservations necessary.
See: http://www.gold.ac.uk/calendar/?id=6609

Author's statement: My novels and stories frequently imagine a post-digital
future. In particular, I am interested in how the remnants, ghosts and
debris of the current digital age will impact that future. I view debris as
a subject matter, and as the building blocks of a novel’s atmosphere, and
also as something that defines the style of my writing at the most basic
level.

Over the years, I have devised several writing techniques, which are
largely based on musical sampling and remixing: a way of collecting
fragments of the past, remixing them to make something new. I will examine
the concept of liquid remixing as a narrative device in my novels
Nymphomation, Needle in the Groove,Cobralingus and the short story
collection, Pixel Juice.

I will also read from Electronic Nocturne, a laboratory of stories, ideas
and imagery all dealing with the post-digital age, including an extract
from my radio play Dead Code and a number of the Sparkle Town episodes,
both of which deal explicitly with the remixing of digital debris to create
new kinds of art and lifestyles. I will also discuss my current spore-based
microfiction project on the @jeffnoon twitter page.

Biography: Jeff Noon was born in Manchester in 1957. He trained in the
visual arts and drama and was active on the post-punk music scene before
becoming a playwright. His play Woundings won a Mobil prize and was
performed at the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester. His novels include
Vurt (Arthur C. Clarke Award winner), Pollen, Automated Alice, Needle in
the Groove and Falling Out Of Cars, and a collection of 50 avant-pulp
stories called Pixel Juice. He also writes microfictional 'spores' via
@jeffnoon on twitter. His latest novel Channel SK1N is an experiment in
independent digital publishing. He lives in Brighton, on the south coast of
England. More information can be found at www.metamorphiction.com.