[spectre] Ludwigstaircase, Budapest

Janos Sugar sj at c3.hu
Wed May 15 09:59:26 CEST 2013

More than 30 artists occupied the Ludwig Museum on Thursday, May 9th
2013, to demand complete transparency in the selection process for a
new director and the institution's autonomy from right-wing ruling
party Fidesz.

(the protest is still running, every day at 7pm there is a general
meeting of the occupiers, and during the day there are public
programs organized by the protesters. cheers: j
email of the occupiers: ludwiglepcso at gmail.com)

PRESS RELEASE

Enough is enough!

Ludwig Museum Budapest, 10 May 2013, 1 pm

 From this day on, United for Contemporary Art keeps the building of
the Ludwig Museum open 24 hours a day. We are present, and we will
work here, hold forums here, and sleep here, until our demands have
been granted.

We have come to this decision as the State Secretariat for Culture of
the Ministry of Human Resources has ceased to operate as a competent
maintainer and resource manager. For months, it has not been capable
of appointing a professionally competent and responsible new
leadership to the museum. To this day, it has not made available the
withheld part of the bursary granted to independent performing art
groups in 2012, despite repeated promises.

The examples of the Ludwig and the independents are symptomatic of
the system's malfunctioning. The functioning of Hungarian public
administration lacks transparency and, for this reason, does not
serve the needs of its citizens.

in English:
http://art-leaks.org/2013/05/12/enough-is-enough-ludwig-museum-budapest-hungary/

http://www.budapesttimes.hu/2013/05/10/nationalism-is-stifling-culture/