[spectre] Sneak preview: INTERRUPTIONS #12 Lost Techno-Pop Weekend in Rural Midwestern America, by Terre Thaemlitz

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Tue May 28 18:14:59 CEST 2013

*Sneak preview: INTERRUPTIONS #12. Lost Techno-Pop Weekend in Rural
Midwestern America, by Terre Thaemlitz*

This mix will be available online soon. Meanwhile, we really recommend,
Terre Thaemlitz's essay on his background and music selection.

Link: http://rwm.macba.cat/uploads/20130528/12Interruptions_eng.pdf

*Summary*
By the time mainstream pop music really became electronically based in
terms of synthesizer/sampler instrumentation and editing (first with R&B
and hip-hop, then mainstream pop), the techno-pop synth sound would be
utterly abandoned by both pop and underground electronic cultures (techno,
house, etc.). In this sense, techno-pop constitutes an isolated and rarely
discussed ‘lost weekend’ from standard pop practices. Techno-pop is most
often dismissed as a shade of new romanticism, punk or electro. However, I
believe its strict emphasis on electronics and critical rejection of rock
culture (at least in the beginning) make techno-pop in and of itself one of
the most important, albeit short-lived, genres of the last century. Then
again, my views are admittedly warped by an upbringing in the rural
Midwestern US, where electronic music was not only scarce, but phobically
abhored by most people. *Terre Thaemlitz, 2013*