[spectre] Today - Opening: RENEW: MediaArtHistories2013 and E.Huhtamo lecture

Rasa Smite rasa at rixc.lv
Tue Oct 8 15:48:46 CEST 2013

Hello on Spectre list

we are happy to announce that today with keynote lecture by Erkki
Huhtamo we begin 5th edition of the International Conference on the
Histories of Media Art, Science and Technology - MEDIA ART HISTORIES
2013: RENEW

Live stream from Erkki Huhtamo's lecture will be available from the
festival website:

http://renew.rixc.lv

and from this link:

http://mplab.lv/live

------->

PROF. ERKKI HUHTAMO
University of California, Los Angeles
"...Hey you, get off of my cloud" Media Archaeology as Topos Study

Time: Tuesday, October 8 at 18.00 (Riga time)
Venue: Stockholm School of Economics in Riga, Strelnieku str. 4a

There are many ways of doing media archaeology. This lecture will
offer a closer look at one of them: topos study. Topoi are formulas
and "frozen" expressions that are recycled within cultural processes.
They appear, disappear and appear again across centuries, and are
used to give expression for different ideas in different contexts.
The lecture will explain how topos study can increase our
understanding of both contemporary media culture and its history.
Several examples will be analyzed. Michelangelo will meet the Rolling
Stones will meet iCloud.

BIOGRAPHY: Erkki Huhtamo is a pioneering media archaeologist. He
works as Professor of Media History and Theory at the University of
California Los Angeles, Department of Design Media Arts. He has a
Ph.D. in cultural history. His most recent book is Illusions in
Motion: Media Archaeology of the Moving Panorama and Related
Spectacles (The MIT Press, 2013).

<------

best
Rasa