[spectre] request for support: reconstructing the Syndicate archive (1996-2001)

Andreas Broeckmann broeckmann at leuphana.de
Tue Feb 11 13:00:41 CET 2014

Dear friends, especially ex-Syndicalists,

we want to reconstruct the archive of the Synicate mailing list for the
period Feb 1996 - Aug 2001.

During that time, the list software was hosted on the aec.at and
openoffice.de servers and was archived at v2.nl. The latter archive has
been lost for a while and we now want to reconstruct it.

I don't have the necessary technical expertise, but I assume that we
need the following:

1. a small team of people who volunteer to help reconstruct the archive
for which they are willing to take some responsibility;

2. a host organisation that offers reliable server capacities for the
foreseeable future, where the Syndicate list archive can be hosted under
a sub-domain such as "abc.de/syndicate-archive/" ; I assume that some
simple piece of software would have to be installed that facilitates the
representation of the archived posts - ideally, these will be
searchable, but as far as I am concerned that is not a precondition (as
a model, the archive of the Syndicate successor list, Spectre, has been
archived since 2001 at: https://post.in-mind.de/pipermail/spectre/ ).

3. a compilation of all postings to the Syndicate mailing list from Feb
1996 till Aug 2001; the completeness of this compilation will have to be
checked and a mechanism for adding and editing will have to be put in
place - this might be easy but needs to be coordinated;

4. creation of a cover-page that explains the historical context of the
list and points to some explanatory online sources, like:
http://monoskop.org/Syndicate
http://www.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-0111/msg00077.html

If you want to actively help on any of these steps, please, get in touch
with me off-list and we can hopefully form a small task force to get
this done.

Regards,
-a