[spectre] Agit Disco VS The Zombie Apocalypse

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Fri Jan 3 14:52:16 CET 2014

Oh yeah, forgot mention...

Here's my own Agit Disco selection

*Agit Disco 24. Marc Garrett.*

Damien Dempsey - 'Dublin Town' (2000)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brhO8pqTNHU
Asian Dub Foundation - 'Modern Apprentice' (2000)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgtWhjaOgQ4
Dan Le Sac & Scroobius Pip - 'Great Britain' (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeV2cExvnMI
Kirsty MacColl - 'Fifteen Minutes' (2005)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSQrH3JUQ2s
Jeffrey Lewis - 'Do They Owe Us A Living?' (2007)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWU-W0SzVE0
The Pop Group - 'Forces of oppression' (1979)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txzmbu6o-gg
Kieron Means - 'I Worry For This World' (2005)
https://play.spotify.com/track/6AI2QujkrP6B2nfIUK55lY
Robyn Archer - 'Ballad on Approving of the World' (1984)
https://play.spotify.com/album/3hNQY8q9sO3M0R6es2d3ka
Robyn Hitchcock - 'Point it at Gran' (1986)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HFkimK9FAU
Sound of Rum - 'End Times' (2011)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dWPe7Au68A
Silver bullet - '20 Seconds to comply (final conflict)' (1990)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24b6pYGT9MM
Maze - 'Color Blind (Featuring Frankie Beverly)' (1977)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COY4gKLwV2I
Akala - 'Bullshit' (2006)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxpxpQ7j8Sg
Sarah Jones - 'Your Revolution' DJ Vadim (2000)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E62SZ1CmBOI
Julian Cope - 'Soldier Blue' (1991)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dGOr-JpOmI
June Tabor - 'A place called England' (2009)
https://play.spotify.com/track/3YB6sSlLfB8kmMrrm5COKX

if you want to share yours just visit the review link & add yours - it's
got to fit the them and fit onto a CD...
http://www.furtherfield.org/features/reviews/agit-disco-vs-zombie-apocalypse

chat soon,

marc

> Sorry for cross posting...
>
> Happy new Year all,
> here's my 1st review of 2014!-)
> marc
>
> Agit Disco VS The Zombie Apocalypse.
>
> Marc Garrett reviews Stefan Szczelkun's book Agit Disco.
> http://www.furtherfield.org/features/reviews/agit-disco-vs-zombie-apocalypse
>

> The subtle and not so subtle domination by market interests of
> cultural production and dialogue denies us all access to a wide
> spectrum of creative expression, especially those that engage in
> subjects that conflict with the agendas of those in power. Agit Disco
> by Stefan Szczelkun published by Mute in 2012, combats this
> contemporary trend by focusing on music, politics, DIY culture, and
> freedom of expression. In doing so he starts to redress the lack of
> representation across the board for those in grass roots culture and
> working class lives, whose freedoms to have a voice in society are so
> commonly restricted.
>
> “Agit Disco offers a breath of fresh air, in the fug of the developing
> marketisation of everything. It presents grounded examples of
> difference that contrast with the dominating view of entertainment
> systems. It features 23 playlists put forward by 23 different writers,
> artist and activists. It began as a set of mixed CDs and images, each
> chapter includes annotations and illustrations. Its contributors are
> Sian Addicott, Louise Carolin, Peter Conlin, Mel Croucher, Martin
> Dixon, John Eden, Sarah Falloon, Simon Ford, Peter Haining, Stewart
> Home, Tom Jennings, DJ Krautpleaser, Roger McKinley, Micheline Mason,
> Tracey Moberly, Luca Paci, Room 13 – Lochyside Scotland, Howard
> Slater, Johnny Spencer, Stefan Szczelkun, Andy T, Neil Transpontine,
> and Tom Vague.”
>
> Stefan Szczelkun is an artist and author interested in culture and
> democracy. In the early Seventies he was fortunate to be part of the
> Scratch Orchestra and has since been involved with a series of artists
> collectives. His doctoral research into the Exploding Cinema
> collective was completed at the RCA in 2002. Recently his
> collaborative project Agit Disco was published as a Mute book in 2012.
> He has been on the Mute magazine editorial board since 2009, and
> currently working on photographic and performance projects.

--->

A living - breathing - thriving networked neighbourhood -
proud of free culture - claiming it with others ;)

Other reviews,articles,interviews
http://www.furtherfield.org/reviews.php

Furtherfield – online arts community, platforms for creating, viewing,
discussing and learning about experimental practices at the
intersections of art, technology and social change.
http://www.furtherfield.org

Furtherfield Gallery – Finsbury Park (London).
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield