[spectre] transart phd workshop - call for participation

Geoff Cox gcox at transart.org
Thu Mar 20 22:04:34 CET 2014

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
Transart phd workshop - Expositions
http://www.transart.org/expositions/call/

July 30-31
Location: uferstudios berlin
http://www.uferstudios.com

Max 15 participants
Deadline: 15 May 2014; Notification of acceptance 31 May 2014
http://www.transart.org/expositions/apply/

The workshop aims to share ideas between current researchers, with or without academic affiliations. The main aim is to cross-reference approaches, extend networks, and position each researchers work in a wider discursive context of artistic research.

All participants are asked to produce a “text” in advance of the workshop and/or other artistic materials (as a blog post) that we work on during the workshop through a peer review process (day 1) and through the evaluation of specific strategies that artists have chosen to expose their practice as research (day 2). It is expected that the outcomes of the workshop will be submitted to JAR’s Research Catalogue (http://www.researchcatalogue.net/) and/or further developed into submissions for JAR (Journal of Artistic Research, http://jar-online.net/) or transart’s own new research journal ELSE (http://elsejournal.org/). We take the notion of ‘expositions’ as our guiding concept to discuss artistic research and practice and its relation to academic discourse, questions of publication and uses of technology. We thereby investigate what form knowledge takes, and how this affects what is known.

The workshop is hosted by Geoff Cox (Transart Institute & Aarhus University) and we are joined by JAR’s editor in chief, Michael Schwab with a public lecture on 30 July, and leading the workshop on the 31 July. We take Schwab’s essay “Exposition in the Research Catalogue” as inspiration in which he does not attempt to define the term but rather to explain how it might offer a dynamic space within which to reinvent research through practice (see http://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/60957/60958). We invite participants in the workshop to further develop this thinking in their own terms.

In preparation for the workshop, participants will be asked to do some reading (23 pages) and produce a draft submission that we will continue to work on over the 2 days.

To apply, send a short statement on your research project (300 words), a short summary of what you intend to develop for the research catalogue (100 words), and a short biography (100 words). Apply using the online form at http://www.transart.org/expositions/apply/

The workshop is FREE but participants (or their institutions) will need to cover their own expenses. The workshop follows the Trans-what? symposium held last summer 2013, and extends our ongoing inquiry into artistic research. We are looking for 12-15 participants from diverse locations to form the workshop (including current Transart PhD candidates who come from North America, Europe and Australasia).

Geoff Cox is Associate Professor in the Dept. of Aesthetics and Communication, and Participatory IT Research Centre, Aarhus University (DK), and Adjunct faculty Transart Institute (DE/US). He is also an occasional artist, and part of the self-institution Museum of Ordure.

Michael Schwab is an artist and artistic researcher, is a tutor at the Royal College of Art, London, and at the Zurich University of the Arts, Switzerland, as well as research fellow at the Orpheus Institute, Ghent. He is co-initiator and inaugural Editor-in-Chief of JAR, the Journal for Artistic Research.

The workshop is organised on behalf of Transart Institute, http://www.transart.org/

Apply at http://www.transart.org/expositions/apply/

Geoff Cox, PhD
Faculty, Transart Institute