[spectre] PirateBox Party: cutlery & auto-net @ the Furtherfield Commons

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Thu May 22 09:28:47 CEST 2014

Sorry for any cross posting...

PirateBox Party: cutlery & auto-net

Autonomous spaces, autonomous networks, boxes and forks – we invite all
DIY lovers to come and join us for an afternoon of re-appropriation of
networking technology to bypass the censorship and liberate our files.

At the Furtherfield Commons
Saturday, June 7, 2014
1:30 PM to 5:00 PM

http://www.furtherfield.org/programmes/event/piratebox-cutlery-auto-net

An afternoon of PirateBox and LibraryBox demos and discussion.

What does a free culture look like? What is technology that supports it?
For many years artists and others have been engaging with these
questions, challenging restrictive laws and regulations as well as
complex technical solutions. A new surge in search for practical
solutions to file-sharing, easier to use and incorporate to our everyday
life is the focus of this workshop. On the day we will install and use
Piratebox and Librarybox on various devices to test their promise.

Inspired by pirate radio and the free culture movements, PirateBox
utilizes Free, Libre and Open Source software (FLOSS) to create mobile
wireless communications and file sharing networks where users can
anonymously chat and share images, video, audio, documents, and other
digital content.

PirateBox fork, LibraryBox (LibraryBox v2.0:Portable Private Digital
Distribution) is an open source, portable digital file distribution tool
based on inexpensive hardware that enables delivery of educational,
healthcare, and other vital information to individuals off the grid.

And Also - NOW ON!
Piratbyrån and Friends exhibition at the gallery until 8 June 2014
http://www.furtherfield.org/programmes/exhibition/piratbyran-and-friends