[spectre] IN PRAISE OF SHADOWS - medialab @ TETEM Kunstruimte, Enschede

Jonathan Reus reusjc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 13:19:58 CEST 2014

IN PRAISE OF SHADOWS - 18 September - 16 November 2014

Opening: Thursday 18 September from 17.00-19.00 with the opening
performance "City Sondols" by Matteo Marangoni
Artists: Wen Chin Fu, Mariska de Groot, Matteo Marangoni, Jonathan Reus,
Jeroen Uyttendaele, Dieter Vandoren and Dewi de Vree
http://tetem.nl/nl/activiteit/details/348/in-praise-of-shadows

It is commonly said that we live in culture dominated by visual images. But
could we find a different balance between the senses by reimagining the
technologies that we employ? Dimming the lights and reducing the sharpness
of vision, in the shadows our imagination opens up, the boundaries between
the real and the imaginary become blurred, and at the same time we
rediscover the sensitivity of the ear, we tune in to the sounds of the
environment, we listen to echoes of our footsteps reflecting off far away
surfaces, we appreciate the texture of materials, the warmth of wood, the
coldness of metal, we feel the age of the people we love by sensing the
roughness of their skin with our fingers.

When modern western technologies invaded Japanese homes in the first half
of the 20th century Jun'ichirō Tanizaki published In Praise of Shadows, a
peculiar essay in which the novelist describes both his nostalgia for the
darkness of traditional Japanese homes and his strenuous efforts to combine
new technologies with old materials and habits: so he found ways to
harmonize paper lanterns with electric light bulbs, glass and paper in
sliding doors, wooden toilet fixtures and modern plumbing.

The works presented in this exhibition follow a similar approach. A careful
selection of materials and simple forms, personal combinations of
technologies both cutting edge and obsolescent, invite us to open up our
senses, to make space with our bodies and to actively explore the details
that lie within the lower thresholds of perception.

In Praise of Shadows is a group exhibition presented by the artist-run
platform iii <http://www.iiinitiative.org> with the support of Stroom Den
Haag and the Creative Industries Fund NL.

www.iiinitiative.org
https://www.facebook.com/iiiaretherforewe