[spectre] FLOSS Manuals UK hub warm-up

larisa blazic lab_web at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 12:43:41 CEST 2014

Dea all,

Apologies for x-posting. A bunch of us are organising Floss Manuals event at Furtherfield Commons in London - It would be great to see you there! Please see below.

Best wishes, Lara

FLOSS Manuals UK hub warm-up

FLOSS Manualswas launched by Adam Hyde in 2007 to remedy the deficit of good free documentation about Free Software. Our strategy since the beginning has been to develop communities to produce high quality free manuals about Free Software in their own language.Today, through the use of Booksprints and federated publishing techniques we have more than 120 books in more than 30 languages and more than 4,000 contributors.

FLOSS Manuals  is more than a collection of manuals about doing things with free and  open source software, it is also the community, The contributors include  designers, readers, writers, illustrators, free software fans, editors,  artists, software developers, activists, and many others. Anyone can  contribute to a manual – to fix a spelling mistake, add a more detailed  explanation, write a new chapter, or start a whole new manual on a  topic.

FLOSS Manualsnow consists of 3 independent language communities (French, English,  Finnish) supported by a Foundation based in Holland. Our current focus is to develop strong partnerships with grassroots educators to develop educational materials about free software. Come to our UK hub warm-up meeting at Furtherfield to propose books/manuals projects, to encourage others to propose book/manual projects and also to invite publishers, or people interested in publishing.

The afternoon is convened by Larisa Blazic, Mick Fuzz and Rachel Baker. Mick is a long-term contributor at FLOSS Manualsand community educator. Rachel has recently undertaken a detailed study of Booksprints process. Larisa is investigating how FLOSS tools and practices to be best embedded in post-graduate programmes.

Contacts: Lara <lab_webATyahoo.com>; Mick - FM <mickATflossmanuals.net>