[spectre] New on Furtherfield. Broke and Scared: The Home of the Future

furtherfield furtherfielder at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 11:24:07 CEST 2015

Sorry for any cross posting...

Broke and Scared: The Home of the Future

Ben Valentine contrasts the implications of his couchsurfing present with
the precarious and monetized future of the ideal home in his review of
Space Caviar's book of commissioned essays SQM: The Quantified Home.

"I’ve been thinking about the idea of home a lot recently. I’ve been
traveling over three continents for the last 6 months, living out of
hostels, surfing friend’s couches, and even staying in local homes through
Couchsurfing or personal connections. [...] So I was excited to reflect
further on the homes when the design research collaborative Space Caviar
released a book of commissioned essays entitled, SQM: The Quantified Home.
The essays examine how the romantic idea of the home is increasingly in
tension with global market forces, zoning laws, new technologies,
surveillance, war, and much more. The book was commissioned by Biennale
Interieur and was part of Space Caviar's program, "The Home Does Not
Exist," which premiered at the Biennale Interieur in Belgium in October of
last year."

http://www.furtherfield.org/features/articles/broke-and-scared-home-future