[spectre] Turing tests in creativity (short story, sonnet, and music competition)

Paul Brown paul at paul-brown.com
Thu Jul 16 09:08:30 CEST 2015

The Neukom Institute at Dartmouth College is sponsoring a competition
designed to encourage the composition of software that generates
creative works (e.g., short stories, sonnets, and music):

----

The Neukom Institute for Computational Science at Dartmouth College is
pleased to announce the first annual Neukom Institute Prizes in
Computational Arts. These competitions aim to inspire innovations in
computational methods that generate artistic products, such as
literary, musical, and visual art.

https://math.dartmouth.edu/~turingtests/

- The "DigiLit" prize competition encourages the creation of algorithms
 able to produce a "human-level" short story of the kind that might be
 intended for a short story collection produced in a well-regarded MfA
 program or a piece for The New Yorker. The prize seeks to reward
 algorithms that could, for example, write stories for a creative
 writing class in which students are asked to submit a new short story
 each day.

- PoetiX is a completion in computer-generated sonnet writing. While,
 there are many forms of sonnet, for the purposes of the prize we are
 considering only “traditional” sonnets: fourteen line poems, in iambic
 pentameter, in either “Shakesperean” or “Petrarchan” form. The former
 is further characterized by an “abab cdcd efef gg” rhyme scheme, and
 the latter as an octet of rhyme scheme “abba abba” followed by a
 sestet with no fixed form.

- "AlgoRhythms" "AlgoRhythms" is a dance music Turing test for live
 DJ-ing, co-sponsored with Dartmouth College's Program in Digital
 Musics. We will find out whether we can tell the difference between
 humans and machines when it comes to selecting the music we want to
 hear and move to.

Submission deadline TBA (likely late 2015).

====
Paul Brown
http://www.paul-brown.com == http://www.brown-and-son.com
UK Mobile +44 (0)794 104 8228
Skype paul-g-brown
====
Honorary Visiting Professor - Sussex University
http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/ccnr/research/creativity.html
====