[spectre] New podcast: INTERRUPTIONS #19. The possibility of drumming, by Morten J. Olsen

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 16:31:58 CEST 2015

*New podcast: INTERRUPTIONS #19. The possibility of drumming, by Morten J.
Olsen*One can easily compile a list of tags to describe a mix, but the real
question is whether the list comes after the mix, or whether all those
items in the list were already in the author’s practise/background to begin
with. Or maybe it’s a bit of both? Innate music, innate rhythms, universal
grammar, YouTube-anthropology, vestigiality, rudiments, Swiss mercenaries,
acid techno and other elemental forms of expression. Norwegian drummer *Morten
J. Olsen (of N.M.O and MoHa! fame) *delivers a true tour de force of a mix
in which he manages to connect all those more or less distant dots, in
order to share his very unique views on percussion music.

*Listen*: http://rwm.macba.cat/en/curatorial/drumming-morten-j-olsen/capsula

*Read*: http://rwm.macba.cat/uploads/20150608/19Interruptions_eng.pdf

*Think*:
If we look at it from an outside point of view, from the point of view of
an alien, it seems there is no actual need for music at all. I’ve heard it
being called cheesecake, Robin Hayward mentioned it, quoting someone I
don’t know, maybe it means we like it but it doesn’t serve a clear purpose
for survival? At first this may seem like it goes against an idea of a
universal grammar of music, but, in fact it works quite well considering we
are equipped with many traits and tools that we are not quite sure anymore
what they are needed for, i.e. they have lost their original function
(these include the tailbone and the appendix, Darwin’s tubercle – which is
a piece on 10% of the populations ears, and also goosebumps) – and music?
Or is it rather that we haven’t discovered its true function, yet? Anyway
this phenomenon is called (human) vestigiality.11 Incidentally, the same
phenomenon is called ‘rudiment’ in Germanic languages. And then we are
right at the core of where my mix is going: ‘In percussion music, a
rudiment is one of a number of relatively small patterns which form the
foundation for more extended and complex drum patterns.’ 12 Wikipedia
continues: ‘The term “rudiment” in this context means not only “basic”, but
also fundamental. While any level of drumming may, in some sense, be broken
down by analysis into a series of component rudiments, the term “drum
rudiment” is most closely associated with various forms of field drumming,
also known as rudimental drumming.’ *Morten J. Olsen*

*+*

You can find the complete INTERRUPTIONS mix series here (feat. mixes by
Dave Phillips, Felix Kubin, Wobbly, Chris Brown, Terre Thaemlitz, Vicki
Bennett, Carl Michael von Hausswolf, Ben Vida, Kenneth Goldsmith...)
http://rwm.macba.cat/en/interruptions-tag