[spectre] Adrenaline - moving images in the 21st century

Fernando Velázquez ferstman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 18:57:40 CET 2015

Adrenaline

Chris Coleman [USA], Donato Sansone [Italy], Henrique Roscoe [Brazil], Hugo
Arcier [France], Lucas Bambozzi [Brazil], Luiz Duva [Brazil], Matheus
Leston [Brazil], Mike Pelletier [Canada/Holland], Rick Silva [Brazil/USA],
Ricardo Carioba [Brazil], Richard Garet [Uruguay/USA], Ryoichi Kurokawa
[Japan], Santiago Ortiz [Colombia], Semiconductor [United Kingdom], Susi
Sie [Germany], Transforma [Germany/England].
curated by Fernando Velázquez

Adrenaline is a hormone and a neurotransmitter secreted in the body in
situations that demand quick response in cognitive, behavioral and
physiologic terms. It sharpens the senses and increases the brain's ability
to process information in order for it to reestablish the balance between
the individual and the environment.

This exhibition presents a selection of current audiovisual creation, in a
time where we find ourselves numbed by images. Borrowing the substance's
name for the exhibition is a way to suggest that we can still feel
challenged and surprised by images.

The artwork presented shares some characteristics as using algorithmic
programming and generative strategies, meaning that systems or rules are
used to allow for unexpected solutions to emerge. These are works that
explore the narrative and language resources of what we refer to as
real-time, an alternative strategies to the conventional edition of
Aristotelic nature.

What's interesting about this collection is the peculiar way of looking at
reality, things and people, that reveals structures and qualities - both
visible and invisible - from perspectives that ask us for specific
cognitive conditioning, as well as being open to the dialogue with
unfamiliar imaginaries.

Steve Dietz observed that every new medium penetrates the layers of culture
leaving a structural basic legacy. The new medium of photography brought
another understanding of painting aesthetics and contributed to culturally
consolidate the space-time conjunction. The new medium of video carries a
new understanding of film aesthetics, and along with television establishes
the assimilation of the concept of real-time. The new digital medium
changes our understanding of art in the sense that it shifts the attention
from the behavior of shapes, to the shaping of behaviors, highlighting the
power of interactivity and online interactions. From the electromagnetic
fields that ubiquity and pervasively cross our bodies (and we still ignore
the real effect caused by them), to the body of data that conforms us (able
to be processed and manipulated by autonomous algorithms), we live times of
subtle reconfiguration of ethics, aesthetics, politics and territories -
topics on which we aim at reflecting from this heterogeneous group of works.

Fernando Velázquez

http://redbullstation.com.br/eventos/adrenalina/

OPENING / MARCH 14th / 2-7PM

Red Bull Station
Praça da Bandeira 137
São Paulo - Brazil
11AM–8 PM / Tuesdays through Friday, 11AM -7PM on Saturday
closed on Sunday and Monday.