[spectre] the performativity of uk as a thief?

if aha at aharonic.net
Mon Mar 30 14:10:28 CEST 2015

Hiyas,

Hope summertime movement adjustments go well..

This post is linked to the practice of exchanging
xdomains/xcountries/xstates giftcards in bus stops.

(
eg:
http://aharonic.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/gift-cards-question.jpg
)

On Saturday night, while picking some stuff in the local coop – the
property keeper accused me of nicking stuff a few days earlier, and
“asked” me to get get out of the shop.

I was like: “WHAT??!!”

He was: LOOK, Here’s a photo of you taking Gift-Cards, and you didn’t pay
for them!

That was very disturbing to hear. The practice, of x domains giftcards
exchanges, has an element of the objects being un-owned.

After a fair bit of discussion with him and whoever happened to be the
store manager at the time – it slowly transpired that for the keeper, the
problem was Not the fact that no-one actually Owned the cards. The
problem, as far as he was concerned was one of Performance. It Looked like
something got out of the shop without payment involved.
This resemblance could reflect negatively on him when a supervisor comes
to review the cctv images.
At least that is what the property keeper claimed.

We sorted that misunderstanding. However it seemed interesting to pop in
on sunday to have a reflective chat about the question of being a property
keeper and the x domains giftcards exchange
practice.

Here's a recording extracted from the video:
https://archive.org/embed/ukisathief_201503

Perhaps this might be interesting for people to listen to because there is
a wider link - that of the brutalisation of people. The keeper is
brutalised by the job - perhaps a perfect illustration of an illegitimate
job if one is needed - and in turn brutalises others. e.g. the brutalised
view of everyone around as a thief..

Also, in my mind, there is a question of how to deal with corporate
public-tentacles - eg supermarket stores - in a way that might be directed
to the corporation's occupation of everyday life, not at the people who
via economic choicelessness have to spend time doing the corporate whims.

Cheers and many ciaos!!

aharonixy(?)
xx