[spectre] An Exploration of Diminishing 'Hope' & its Correlation to 'Constructive Alienation'

furtherfield furtherfielder at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 17:39:21 CET 2016

Sorry for any cross posting

An Exploration of Diminishing 'Hope' & its Correlation to 'Constructive
Alienation'

Chloe Stavrou reviews the exhibition 'What Hope Looks Like After Hope (On
Constructive Alienation)' curated by Bassam El Baroni featuring Hisham
Awad, Katia Barrett, Amanda Beech, Leonardo Cremonini, Martti Kalliala,
Yuri Pattinson, Nelmarie du Preez, Matthew Poole, Patricia Reed, Walid
Sadek and Mohammad Salemy, in the non-profit arts space Ashkal Alwan, in
Beirut, Lebanon.

The exhibition was conceived by Alexandrian curator Bassam El Baroni as
part of Ashkal Alwan’s international cultural forum, Home Works 7. Run by
the Lebanese Association for Plastic Arts, Ashkal Alwan is a non-profit
organization based in Beirut, Lebanon. The exhibition opened on November
12th and ran until the 10th of December 2015. Drawing from philosophical
concepts revolving around the drowning of the contemporary human
consciousness and free will, the show is an elaborate discussion of how we
are coping with the decline of a future that used to be in our hands.
Bassam El Baroni in union with the artists involved raise questions as to
how we can mediate and engage with solutions for creating (or
disintegrating) prospects of a more ‘hopeful’ future.

http://www.furtherfield.org/features/what-hope-looks-after-hope-constructive-alienation