[spectre] CEU

János Sugár sj at c3.hu
Mon Apr 3 14:49:21 CEST 2017

(btw in Hungary only government politicians and right wing-media
calls CEU as Soros university)

Over 1,000 cognitive scientists, including 2 Nobel Laureates, have
signed a letter to Hungarian authorities calling on the government to
withdraw the proposed legislation and maintain academic freedom and
scientific excellence. Signatories from over 30 countries include 10
Harvard professors, 10 Yale professors, 12 MIT professors, 8
directors of the Max Planck Institute, 25 University of California
professors, 14 New York University professors, and members of the
Royal Society and the British Academy, among others.

"We are writing to express our dismay about the proposed legislation
that would effectively end a 25-year history of scientific excellence
in Budapest. As an international body of psychologists,
neuroscientists, and cognitive scientists, we can tell you that our
colleagues at Central European University are among the most
respected in the world. Their intellectual legacy has had a global
impact. We believe any city should count itself fortunate to have
such a renowned center of academic excellence in its midst.
The proposed legislation will make it effectively impossible for CEU
to continue to occupy its current position as one of the foremost
scientific institutions internationally. We respectfully ask that you
preserve CEU's ability to act as a center of leadership and
innovation in Hungary and the world by withdrawing this legislation. "
https://www.ceu.edu/article/2017-03-31/14-nobel-laureates-other-leading-academics-urge-hungarian-government-withdraw

Soros's University Turns Into Democracy Battleground in Budapest
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-03/soros-s-university-turns-into-democracy-battleground-in-budapest