[spectre] <nettime> Lex CEU

János Sugár sj at c3.hu
Wed Apr 5 10:27:28 CEST 2017

folks,

	what in hungary is going on is not nationalism, but ethinicism,
big difference.

Gáspár Miklós Tamás:
/.../
To get as far as they possibly could from
democratic nationalism-which is a variant of
classical republicanism: political equality and
self-determination-they engaged in what I called
ethnicism: an apolitical, destructive practice,
opposed to the idea of citizenship. Transylvanian
Hungarians were in the first ranks of the 1989
Romanian revolution, which they were
repudiating-as it was 'foreign'-within a few
months, after having been victims of Romanian
pogroms. Common citizenship appears as a chimera.
Small wonder though: citizenship and
civic-democratic nationalism are dependent on the
state, annihilated by neo-liberal politics.
Nationalism has reunited small principalities in
large states-Italy, Germany, Romania,
Czecho-Slovakia, Poland, Yugoslavia, maybe even
Soviet Russia. Ethnicism has destroyed them and
created miserable little statelets, provincial
and barbarous, dependent on international finance
and local mafia for their livelihood. In this
respect, Eastern Europe is not variegated. It is
an area of fear where a plastic replica of
tribalism appears soothing and homey.
/.../
https://newleftreview.org/II/80/g-m-tamas-words-from-budapest

cheers,