[spectre] Two workshops within the Transmediale Vorspiel programme: How do I prepare myself to be cloned and Compressing Time

Mindaugas Gapševičius mi_ga at o-o.lt
Wed Feb 8 01:41:47 CET 2017

Upcoming Friday and Saturday we propose two workshops within the
Transmediale Vorspiel programme: How do I prepare myself to be cloned
and Compressing Time. For more information see bellow

********

Transmediale Vorspiel Event #1 : How do I prepare myself to be cloned
A Workshop with Mindaugas Gapsevicius

10.02.2017
3-6pm
Top Schillerpalais, Schillerpromenade 4, 12049 Neukölln, Berlin, Germany
Donation basis

The “How do I prepare myself to be cloned” workshop dives into the very
nature of the organism, which, throughout its life cycle, demonstrates
the ability to self-replicate. This workshop is about cloning myself.
Referring to mythological hybrids like Pegasus, centaurs, mermaids, or
minotaurs we will discuss up to date technologies enabling to construct
these organisms. We will also take a look into the DIY polymerase chain
reaction (PCR) machine and electrophoresis chamber for the DNA analysis.
The allocated time is short, but we may work on the things also the next
days, weeks, months..

Mindaugas Gapševičius (b. 1974) is an artist, facilitator, and curator
based between Berlin, Weimar, and Vilnius. He holds an artistic
associate chair at Bauhaus University, Weimar. His artworks question the
creativity of machines and do not presume humans to be the only creative
force at work. http://www.triple-double-u.com

More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/805983296209327/

********

Transmediale Vorspiel Event #2 : Compressing Time
A workshop with artist Alice Morey

11.02.2017
3-6pm
Top Schillerpalais, Schillerpromenade 4, 12049 Neukölln, Berlin, Germany
Donation basis

“Compressing Time” is a workshop about the transformation of natural
found materials using intense heat. A site specific and processed- based
workshop collecting twigs and branches from the local area of
Schillerkiez, to then slowly compress the material to make charcoal.
Trees grow over many years and shed their branches. By slowly adding
heat to them they will tranform into another element.
Comparable to stones and rocks which are formed over thousands of years
through extreme heat and pressure, with this workshop we will mimic a
process of change.

Alice Morey breaks the boundaries of traditional methods of painting by
working with chemical experiments and creating her own rituals in
material processes that lead to large format paintings. Methods she uses
combine categorizations of object, painting and performance. Using
materials ranging from clay, home-made charcoal,pigments to hydrochloric
acid. http://alicemorey.com/

More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/247121552395772/

********
Kitchenlab
TOP Association for the Promotion of Cultural Practice

For a couple of weeks >top Schillerpalais will turn into a public
biochemical lab developed by TOP association in order to propose a
platform for rediscovering knowledge, and along it, past, present and
future*. The lab arrangement of the kitchen provides an atmosphere for
discourses about the world and society, including cultural heritage and
scientific knowledge, fermentation and distillation, humans and other
living beings. It explores possibilities of a societal shift towards
understanding and consciousness of the human species as a balanced
element of the ecosystem we live by and within. Kitchenlab aims to
gather those interested in working between the studio, the kitchen, and
the laboratory, where food culture, experimental lab culture, and
artistic and creative practice overlap.

During transmediale Vorspiel 2017, the audience will be invited to join
Kitchenlab experiences with Mindaugas Gapševičius, Penka Mincheva,
Matthias Roth, Kim Dotty Hachmann, Elizabeth McTernan and Alice Morey.

* Here the reference is to Donna Haraway’s concept of Chthulucene
introduced in “Anthropocene, Capitalocene, Plantationocene, Chthulucene:
Making Kin,” published in Environmental Humanities, vol. 6, 2015, pp.
159-165 www.environmentalhumanities.org

More info: http://www.top-ev.de/kitchenlab/