[spectre] TrustMe, I'am An Artist-Final Event

Annick2 anikburo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 12:37:16 CET 2017

Dear Spectrite,

The whole Trust Me, I'm an Artist team will be happy to
welcome you at the Waag Society in Amsterdam on November
16th a 17th for the final event in this series with an
ethics panel performance with Maja Smrekar and a symposium.

The detailed programme is available at:
https://waag.org/en/event/trust-me-im-artist-symposium-and-performance-maja-smrekar

Can the arts play a role in understanding the ethical issues
arrising from new (bio)technologies? Can ethics be an
artform or should art making require ethical approval?
"Trust me, I'm an Artist" investigates the new ethical
issues arising from art and science collaboration and
considers the roles and responsibilities of the artists,
scientists and institutions involved.

The final symposium of the Trust me, I’m an artist project
will take place in Amterdam on 17th November 2017, building
on previous events in Amsterdam, Brighton, Copenhagen,
London, Berlin, Dublin, Ljubljana, Paris, Prague and Riga.
Artworks that explored issues such as gene editing and
antibiotic resistance, humanity’s radioactive heritage,
self-experimentation, human tissue culture and sculpture,
interspecies communication, biocontainment and
responsibility,  the microbiome, and synthetic biology were
presented and debated in public ethics panels in a series of
performative events (before a live audiences). Specially
selected artists proposed ethically complex artworks to
specially formed ethics committee (following the rules and
procedures typical for the host country), the ethics
committee then debated the proposals and came to a decision,
the artist was then be informed of the ethics committee’s
decision and, alongside the audience, they entered into a
discussion about the result.

This final symposium will address key questions arising from
the project such as: “What can science and ethics learn from
the Trust me, I’m an artist project?” “Can ethics become an
artistic practice?” Can Trust me, I’m an artist lead to the
reframing of research questions?” Should art and culture
organisations require ethical approval; do we need ethical
institutions?”

Artists, ethicists, scientists and representatives of the
institutions involved in the “Trust Me, I’m an Artist”
series will present their reflections and visions.

To prepare us for the final symposium, on the evening of
16th November we will host a new”Trust me, I’m an artist”
ethics panel event reflecting on the art work K9 Topology of
the award winning Slovenian artist Maja Smrekar. Smrekar
researched the co-evolution of humans and dogs, taking the
measure to place their cell materials in an equal
cohabitating relationship.

The “Trust me, I’m an artist” a is project supported by the
Creative Europe programme of the Europen Commission
coordinated by Waag Society with partners Art Catalyst,
Kapelica Gallery, Medical Museion and communication partner
Leonardo-Olats. Lead artist is Anna Dumitriu and lead
ethicist is Prof. Bobbie Farsides.

When:
Thursday, 2017, November 16 - 7:00pm to Friday, 2017,
November 17 - 5:00pm
Where:
Waag Society, Nieuwmarkt 4, 1012 CR Amsterdam

All the Best
Annick